title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Track artists not showing properly in Cambridge Audio's StreamMagic app for Android

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Track artists not showing properly in Cambridge Audio's StreamMagic app for Android

Hi - I have a weird problem. I'm using AssetUPnP to stream from my Synology NAS to my Samsung Galaxy S10 smartphone.

On my phone, I use Cambridge Audio's StreamMagic Android app to control my Cambridge CXNv2 network player.

For some reason, the app seems to show the "album artist" against each track instead of the "track artist". So a "Various Artists" album will simply have the words "Various Artists" against each track. If the album artist is "John Smith" and there is a single song by "Sally Jones", that single song will also be listed as "John Smith". This is both in "album" view and "folder browser" view. Once picked up by the CXN, however, the track artist is shown correctly!

What's especially weird is that when I view the same album through the same company's "Cambridge Connect" app, the same track lists are shown perfectly.

When I select to use Synology's built-in media server, the track listings are also correctly, regardless of which media server I use:

So the track listings behave like this:

- AssetUPnP to StreamMagic app - album artists incorrectly shown against each track
    - AssetUpnP to Cambridge Connect - track artists shown
    - AssetUPnP to Hi-Fi Cast - track artists shown
    - AssetUpNp to BubbleUPnP - track artists shown

- Synology media server to StreamMagic app - track artists shown
    - Synology media server to Cambridge Connect - track artists shown
    - Synology media server to Hi-Fi cast - track artists shown
    - Synology media server to BubbleUPnP - track artists shown

Is there any reason why the very specific combination of AssetUPnP and StreamMagic is causing the album artists to be shown instead of the track artist?

I've contacted Cambridge but their response was "it shouldn't be happening" and have asked me to send them some logs (which I haven't yet figured out how to do).

The option "[artist] - [title] for Various Artist album tracks" is checked in my AssetUPnP settings.

I hope you can help!

Thanks...

Administrator

Re: Track artists not showing properly in Cambridge Audio's StreamMagic app for Andro

It is an issue with Stream magic, in that they make album artist have preference over artist.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Track artists not showing properly in Cambridge Audio's StreamMagic app for Andro

Eek! Thank you. I've gone back to Cambridge to see what they say.

Do you know why Stream magic displays tracks properly from Synology's own media server though? Is there something different about the way the two media servers provide track artist data?
    Last edited by Spymaster; 09-24-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Administrator

Because they only supply artist and not album artist?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spymaster View Post
    Eek! Thank you. I've gone back to Cambridge to see what they say.

Do you know why Stream magic displays tracks properly from Synology's own media server though? Is there something different about the way the two media servers provide track artist data?
    Unfortunately there are no real standards for which tags should be supported and it is very common for otherwise extremely competent players to be limited by the software and apps.

Edit. Taking personal preference out of the equation, this is one of the reasons why there is so much variation in file names: some apps are simply more intuitive and flexible than others.
    Last edited by Oggy; 09-25-2020 at 02:45 AM.

I had exactly the same issue with Stream Magic. I asked Cambridge Audio about it and the response was, as Spoon says, it displays the Album Artist. I got the impression they are not in a hurry to change that.

My solution was to delete the Album Artist tag from all compilations, but make sure I had the Compilation tag set to yes. This does not resolve the problem with album artist CDs with a second artist on some tracks but I can live with that. It took a while but I now have everything working as I like.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by GTX View Post
    I had exactly the same issue with Stream Magic. I asked Cambridge Audio about it and the response was, as Spoon says, it displays the Album Artist. I got the impression they are not in a hurry to change that.

My solution was to delete the Album Artist tag from all compilations, but make sure I had the Compilation tag set to yes. This does not resolve the problem with album artist CDs with a second artist on some tracks but I can live with that. It took a while but I now have everything working as I like.
    I seem to have got through to Cambridge - at last. They have raised an job numbers which suggests they're doing something about it. Hurray!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I just discovered that Denon/Marantz HEOS app is doing exactly the same thing. Again, it only seems to be an issue when searching/browsing metadata from Asset UPnP. It seems to be okay when browsing via Synology's own media server (which is far less good). I've messaged Denon. How frustrating.