title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD driver not on completely flat surface

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

CD driver not on completely flat surface

If the CD driver is not on a flat surface but slighted slanted, could that affect the quality of the rip?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD driver not on completely flat surface

Quote Originally Posted by ripcd View Post
    If the CD driver is not on a flat surface but slighted slanted, could that affect the quality of the rip?

highly unlikely. And are you getting either accuraterip matches or secure outcomes? If so, you're good.

dBpoweramp Guru

If you think of CD audio systems in cars (slanted, bumpy enviroment) or sometimes even vertical integration of drives in computers, you can imagine, that drives are not as sensible as one would think.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    If you think of CD audio systems in cars (slanted, bumpy enviroment) or sometimes even vertical integration of drives in computers, you can imagine, that drives are not as sensible as one would think.

Dat Ei
    not sensible or even sensitive!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    not sensible or even sensitive!
    Thanks Gary. I'm just not a native speaker and try my best to get along.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Thanks Gary. I'm just not a native speaker and try my best to get along.

Dat Ei
    Just kidding you....and actually "not sensible" is not that far off from how some drives behave.

dBpoweramp Guru

Just kidding you....
    I know, Gary. :-)

...and actually "not sensible" is not that far off from how some drives behave.
    In my mother tongue the behaviour is called "sensibel", so the way to "sensible" was too short to anticipate the trap.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey, as a typical "american" who knows only one language, I'm always impressed with people that speak, write, and THINK, in multiple languages!

dBpoweramp Guru

As one who struggled with Latin, then Spanish in High School (Hey, that's why I become an Inguneer!) (To this day, I remember only about a dozen words in Spanish, I can count to six.)I have always been totally awed when I run into multilingual people. I worked with a lot of them in my days at the TV network, and have known quite a number of multilingual foreign students from my days helping a college radio station. I couldn't imagine being a native speaker of one language taking college courses in another. And these guys were flourishing, on the dean's list. The ones who most impressed me were native speakers of non-latin based languages. Chinese, Korean, various African languages, where the colonial power wasn't England. Some of these guys were fluent in six or more languages.

And then a year ago I toured Spain and Portugal on my own for three weeks. Spain, I'm glad I had Google Translate on my phone, although there were actually plenty of English speakers. Portugal, everyone also spoke English. Everyone! And I happened to wander around a University campus in Portugal during their "freshman week" (brought back memories, things like this are obviously world-wide...) Anyway, I talked to quite a few (very bright) students. They all spoke English, most unaccented idiomatic English. I asked where they came from? Portugal. Had they lived in an English speaking country? No, they grew up right there in Portugal. Made me feel so inadequate. I had learned how to say Yes and No in Portuguese.

Back to CD drives, Most any computer drive will work in any position. You'll have problems inserting the CD if it is upside down... BUT, don't bump or shake them while they are reading media. You are likely to get read errors. I speak from experience, from early on ripping my CDs to m4a for my Ipod with Winamp while my laptop was actually in my lap, bouncing around. A bunch of bad rips...

dBpoweramp Guru

Thumbs up Re: CD driver not on completely flat surface

Hey, as a typical "american" who knows only one language, I'm always impressed with people that speak, write, and THINK, in multiple languages!
    Couldn't agree more Gary, and as a language lazy Brit I regularly find non-native English speakers' command of the language (Dat Ei is definitely included ) truly humbling.

Sadly I haven't taken this as inspiration and been motivated to learn a second language.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks for the compliments, but I'm everything but not a language genius. If my english teachers could read your lines, they would be more than astonished and rub their eyes - believe me. I've started with Latin in the 5th class and have struggled with this dead language for six long years. English has been my second foreign language, starting in the 7th class, but at that time I had enough problems just to get along with the first one. I could have chosen French or Old Greek as an alternative in the 9th class, but I've decided to strengthen my favorite subjects math and physics instead. This decision has been one of the fundamental ones in my life and has prepared my way to a one year study of physics before I switched over to study computer science. So you see I'm not as affin to foreign languages as you might think. I've learned my most import language lesson outside of the school: you learnd most of a language, if you try to communicate (reading/writing as well as listening/talking) with people.

Enough about me and of off topic...

Dat Ei