title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How do you make title of song to appear first

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

How do you make title of song to appear first

Right now Dynamic naming is set as:

[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[track] [artist] - [title][]

How should I edit this if I want this order: title of song, composer, album artist, album title.

BTW, what is 'track' supposed to mean, if not the title of the song?

Administrator

Re: How do you make title of song to appear first

Track is track number. It is likely your player is not using the filename to display, but the id tags.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ripcd View Post
    Right now Dynamic naming is set as:

[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[track] [artist] - [title][]

How should I edit this if I want this order: title of song, composer, album artist, album title.

BTW, what is 'track' supposed to mean, if not the title of the song?
    This would do it. But as Spoon says, it is likely your player using tags (as any good player/server would!) and not the file names themselves. Also keep in mind that using the naming string below, will occasionally cause tracks to be overrwritten when ripping, as you could have a single CD with two tracks with the exact same title. If composer is the same, then without track number included, you'll only end up with one of those tracks due to overwriting with same exact name. And of course there's a lot of redundant info in the file name. You already have the album in a subfolder for the artist/album artist. And you already have all the CD tracks in a subfolder for the album name, so why include all that info also in the file name. I suppose if the files are going to be separated for some other use and lumped together in one big folder, this could be useful.

[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[title] - [composer] - [album artist] - [album][]
    Last edited by garym; 09-20-2020 at 09:53 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

After it has already been ripped, is it possible to auto-change the order of the names by batch, instead of one by one?

The order I now want is:

Track number, title of song, composer, artist (player of the instrument), album name

The reason I want to change it is, when I used to listen to music on my Android phone, the title was too long to be displayed at once, so that it would move from left to right, but the player of the instruement would always come first and the information that I wanted the most (the title of the track) would come last so that I had to wait a long time while the text moved from left to right.

I think I understood how it works. Would this work?

[MAXLENGTH]80,[track] [artist] - [title][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]
    Last edited by ripcd; 09-21-2020 at 01:42 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

After it has already been ripped, is it possible to auto-change the order of the names by batch, instead of one by one?

yes,

1. install the ARRANGE AUDIO utility codec from "codec central" link at the top of this page
    2. run dbpa BATCH CONVERTER, select the top directory of your music files and this should select all the lower level directory
    3. select CONVERT
    4. Choose ARRANGE AUDIO as the "convert to" option
    5. Within the ARRANGE AUDIO popup, copy and paste the naming string you want and tick options you want (e.g., remove empty folders, overwrite, etc.).

I'd test this on a few albums first before I turned it loose on my entire library. And it goes without saying that you should also have a separate backup somewhere in case you somehow screw things up.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Ok that's good to know that it can be all fixed later.

Right now I have this:
    [MAXLENGTH]150,[track] [title] - [artist] []\[MAXLENGTH]150,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]150,[album][]

But unfortunately the result is bad. All tracks are named the same (Joseph Haydn; Cellokonzerte__) without any track number or anything. And the files are not in one folder; there are as many folders as there are different tracks.

What did I do wrong?

dBpoweramp Guru

Ok that's good to know that it can be all fixed later.

Right now I have this:
    [MAXLENGTH]150,[track] [title] - [artist] []\[MAXLENGTH]150,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]150,[album][]

But unfortunately the result is bad. All tracks are named the same (Joseph Haydn; Cellokonzerte__) without any track number or anything. And the files are not in one folder; there are as many folders as there are different tracks.

What did I do wrong?

that string makes no sense. it doesn't have any naming for track titles at all or track numbers and has maxlength in two places. very odd. What do you want the folder/subfolder and file names to be?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Upon playing music on my Android phone again, I found that I was remembering incorrectly, and it does not display the name of player first in a long title that moves across the screen. Rather, it displays the name of the player and the title of the song in separate lines.

However in some classical music, sometimes the names are so long and similar to each other that it's sometimes hard to know which piece you are listening to.
    For example a name might be:
    Piano Concerto No. 1 in B minor, (and then the name of the movement comes at the very last)

and if the concerto spans 3 or 4 tracks, you have that many tracks that have the same name unless you wait until the name of the movement comes up as the title glides across the screen.

I wish the title was shortened, for ex:
    Pi. Conc. N1 in B mi.

so as to not have to deal with too long titles.

But for now it seems like I would be fine without tampering with the order of the name of the file.
    Last edited by ripcd; 09-22-2020 at 06:39 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

yes, classical naming requires a lot more thought. I'm not helpful for that. Out of about 9,000 CDs I have about 50 classical.

and when ripping you can make the titles as short as you want....just requires manual editing.
    Last edited by garym; 09-22-2020 at 06:49 PM.