title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Compilations

Question Compilations

Dears, I'm very delighted using Asset UPNP for two days however I struggle with Compilations.
    Having set the "Compilation" flag for all Soundtracks and CDs with various artists, I would like to see only one Cover image per Compilation.
    Could you please advise how to manage?
    Many thanks!
    All the best,
    Gerhard

Administrator

Re: Compilations

The album is being split up into mini single track albums?

Yes, when I select Album using the Naim App I see as many albums as there are different artists.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Did you set the Album Artist to be the same for all tracks? On the case for Compilations, this is typically "Various Artists" but could be others in some cases.

I ripped with dbpoweramp and the Album Artist is always the correct one and never the same for all tracks. I set the Compilation flag = 1 when ripping compilations.
    In Asset UPnP options I activated the checkbox "[artist] - [title] for Various Artist album tracks" but Compilations still are listed as often as there are different artists and not only one time.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard2106 View Post
    I ripped with dbpoweramp and the Album Artist is always the correct one and never the same for all tracks. I set the Compilation flag = 1 when ripping compilations.
    In Asset UPnP options I activated the checkbox "[artist] - [title] for Various Artist album tracks" but Compilations still are listed as often as there are different artists and not only one time.
    The Album Artist has to be the same for all tracks on the Album to keep it listed as one Album.

But that's not useful. What shall I do, if I have different artists?
    I thought, for this purpose, the flag "Compilation=1" in ID3 tag is used for.
    Minim Server for example is also able to deal with it.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

The Artist tag does not change. The Album Artist is what needs to be common to tie this album together. Otherwise ALL compilations albums will be listed together, also not desirable. Why would it not be possible for the tracks you have on question to jot have a single Album Artist value?

Administrator

The Album Artist tag is a special tag which overrides compilation, for example you could have two 'Greatest hits' albums, both with compilation set, to separate them as two albums all you need is different album artist tags. The artist tag can be different for each track in an album, the album artist has to be the same for the whole album, that is its purpose to tie together the album.

I have to correct myself as I mixed up Artist and Album Artist ;-)
    The Album Artist is the same for the whole compilation album - either "various artist" or the relevant name of the compilation. I thought up to now, the most important information for Compilations would be, that the "Compilation" flag is set to "1".

That is understood, thanks for clarification.
    And which attributes do I have to set in AssetUPnP that Compilations are listed separately in Album view (and also in Artist/Album view)?

Administrator

Firstly:

1) all tracks for the same album have to be in the same folder
    2) You can have compilation set
    3) you should not have album artist set if a various artists cd

Hi!

ad 1) my music folder on my synology NAS ripped with dbpoweramp has following structure: Artist name\Album title\track title
    ad 2) do you mean in AssetUPnP or in my music library? In my music library the compilation flag is set
    ad 3) is this the tag: album - artist for album listing?

Thanks again!

Administrator

That is why, for various artist CDs your albums are spread over different folders.

Open Asset configuration and uncheck the option 'Album Defined By Folder', then trigger a rescan refresh all.

Thanks, that solved my issues! :-)