title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Unicode text from cdplayer.ini

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clinchje
    • Sep 2020

Unicode text from cdplayer.ini

I used to be able to import unicode text from my cdplayer.ini file for rip metadata but recently I get gibberish. So I updated to the latest version of dbpoweramp, but I still get gibberish. The data I need includes characters such as these º &*9837; &*9839; &*8220; &*8221; all of which are pretty standard for music. Why has my setup changed and how do I fix it?

edit - the musical flat and musical sharp symbols are &*9837; and &*9839; respectively, they show in the dialog but not in the post.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Unicode text from cdplayer.ini

CDPlayer.ini cannot support unicode, I am sorry.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• clinchje
      • Sep 2020

I disagree, I have in the past created a cdplay.ini file from CATraxx and used dbpoweramp to rip with the correct metadata.
      And at present dbpoweramp is not even importing European language characters, perticularly French and German names.
      So if it worked in the past, what has changed?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The function we use is called 'GetPrivateProfileString' which will read as unicode if the cdplayer.ini contains UTF16 and the correct unicode header characters.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• clinchje
          • Sep 2020

Originally posted by Spoon
          The function we use is called 'GetPrivateProfileString' which will read as unicode if the cdplayer.ini contains UTF16 and the correct unicode header characters.
          Sorry, what do you mean by "which will read as unicode if the cdplayer.ini contains UTF16 and the correct unicode header characters"?
          Do I have to insert some header text into my cdplayer.ini file?

The only reason I am using cdplayer.ini is as a vehicle to carry my corrected metadata from my cataloguing software to my dbpoweramp ripping software.
          I prefer to keep European names in their native language (provided it uses roman characters) and to use correct music characters, &*9839; and &*9837; for "sharp" and "flat", as well as using "Nº" instead of "No." to save space, plus smart quotes.

For example:
          Piano Concerto Nº5 in E&*9837;, Op.73 &*8220;Emperor&*8221;
          and
          Béla Bartók

(I hope that text shows up verbatim once posted)
          edit - the flat character shows as "&*9837;" above
          sharp is "&*9839;"
          smart quotes are "&*8220;" and "&*8221;"
          Last edited by clinchje; 09-15-2020, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

The program writing CDPlayer.ini should save it as that.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>