title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Error initializing FLAC encoder. [Begin Conversion]

Re: Error initializing FLAC encoder. [Begin Conversion]

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Thanks for the file.

The problem has been fixed-
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/DMC-R173b4.dmg

Your files have particularly large tags. FLAC format is unable to handle such, causing encoding to fail. Additional logic has been added to drop problematic oversized tags, with a notice in information log.
    Peter,

Thank you. Will use this version. Can you tell me which tags were oversized? I’m in process of fixing my tags on my entire library so want to avoid creating more issues. I’m in the process of updating using Yate and looking first to Musicbrainz and if necessary, Discogs.

Thx.

Peter,

Thx...appreciate the effort.

I'm in the middle of updating tags on my library using Yate to download Musicbrainz metadat and if necessary, Discogs. Can you pls let me know which tags were large so that I'm careful with other files as i continue updating?

Also, should I now install the beta? If so, will future releases also include this logic or should I not update for future releases?

Peter,

Just tried it. 3 files failed. Should I DM you these for investigation?

Error converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/06 All Around The World.m4a' to '/Users/Parashar/Desktop/06 All Around The World.flac'
    Error opening file '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/06 All Around The World.m4a' check no other program has it open. [Open]
    Error converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/15 All These Things.m4a' to '/Users/Parashar/Desktop/15 All These Things.flac'
    Error opening file '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/15 All These Things.m4a' check no other program has it open. [Open]
    Error converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/18 If You're Lonely (Solo Piano Alternate Take).m4a' to '/Users/Parashar/Desktop/18 If You're Lonely (Solo Piano Alternate Take).flac'
    Error opening file '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/18 If You're Lonely (Solo Piano Alternate Take).m4a' check no other program has it open. [Open]

Peter and Spoon,

Pls see comment from the Yate forum from the administrator re: file size limits in flac. (I want to compare the .m4a file to the newly converted .flac files where the large tags were getting stripped so I could see what information was being lost.)

I don't know if this helps addressing the issues I'm having? Thx for you help in resolving these issues (and saving me the hassle of having to re-rip my entire library!

"There are no limitations on the size of individual FLAC comments (actually a 32 bit size). There is a 24 bit (16mb) size restriction on any FLAC container section which effectively limits the overall size of the tag area (not counting artwork) to ~16mb. Every artwork item is limited to ~16mb. It is somewhat unfathomable that the tag area could overflow unless dbPowerAmp is converting artwork to the older embedded base64 format. The only thing that should be possible is that an individual artwork item is greater than 16mb and has to be dropped. In eight years I've seen that once.

It seems to me that unless artwork is dropped you should be okay. If you still want an action I can put something together to do a type of diff. Let me know."

Peter and Spoon,

Pls see response from the Yate forum's administrator about the flac size. I had explained the situation to provide context for my request to see if I could use Yate to compare metadata from the original .m4a files with the new .flac files to see what tags were getting dropped because they were too large for .flac format.

Don't know if his comment is helpful in resolving the issues I'm having. I appreciate your help in tracking this down...will save me the hassle of having to re-rip over 500+ CDs! Thx.

There are no limitations on the size of individual FLAC comments (actually a 32 bit size). There is a 24 bit (16mb) size restriction on any FLAC container section which effectively limits the overall size of the tag area (not counting artwork) to ~16mb. Every artwork item is limited to ~16mb. It is somewhat unfathomable that the tag area could overflow unless dbPowerAmp is converting artwork to the older embedded base64 format. The only thing that should be possible is that an individual artwork item is greater than 16mb and has to be dropped. In eight years I've seen that once.

It seems to me that unless artwork is dropped you should be okay. If you still want an action I can put something together to do a type of diff. Let me know.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the follow up.

Upon closer inspection of the original problem, there's no need to drop anything. dBpoweramp attempted to first write the file with a single 'padding' chunk large enough to fit all tags, allowing tags to be written in its place after encoding. This would cause libFLAC to fail with the strange error messages you encountered.
    This has been revised for the next update (link below), though beta 4 is safe to use, there are no bad behaviors or dropped tags (disregard the info lines about dropped tags, nothing is lost).

As for "error opening file", there seems to be some recurring glitch with reading from network shares - I don't think file content is relevant, as dBpoweramp is unable to open the file, doesn't get as far as reading its content.
    I added additional debug logging in today's beta-
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/DMC-R173b5.dmg
    If you get it to fail again, please post what it says - there will be extra error codes reported with "error opening file" lines.

Upon closer inspection of the original problem, there's no need to drop anything. dBpoweramp attempted to first write the file with a single 'padding' chunk large enough to fit all tags, allowing tags to be written in its place after encoding. This would cause libFLAC to fail with the strange error messages you encountered.
    This has been revised for the next update (link below), though beta 4 is safe to use, there are no bad behaviors or dropped tags (disregard the info lines about dropped tags, nothing is lost).

As for "error opening file", there seems to be some recurring glitch with reading from network shares - I don't think file content is relevant, as dBpoweramp is unable to open the file, doesn't get as far as reading its content.
    If you get it to fail again, please post what it says - there will be extra error codes reported with "error opening file" lines.
    Peter,

This is what happened with the Booker album:

Error converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/11 Theme From The Godfather.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/11 Theme From The Godfather.flac'
    Error opening file '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/11 Theme From The Godfather.m4a' check no other program has it open.Resource temporarily unavailable (errno:35) [Open]
    Error converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/14 Hound Dog.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/14 Hound Dog.flac'
    Error opening file '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/14 Hound Dog.m4a' check no other program has it open.Resource temporarily unavailable (errno:35) [Open]

Peter,

This is what happened. The other files in the album converted properly.

Error converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/11 Theme From The Godfather.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/11 Theme From The Godfather.flac'
    Error opening file '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/11 Theme From The Godfather.m4a' check no other program has it open.Resource temporarily unavailable (errno:35) [Open]
    Error converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/14 Hound Dog.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/14 Hound Dog.flac'
    Error opening file '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/14 Hound Dog.m4a' check no other program has it open.Resource temporarily unavailable (errno:35) [Open]

Peter,

I didn't see any extra error codes so I double checked to make sure I was using Beta 5. I also tried another albums and got the following results:

Error converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/06 I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/06 I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face.flac'
    Error opening file '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/06 I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face.m4a' check no other program has it open.Resource temporarily unavailable (errno:35) [Open]
    Error converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/07 Caruso.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/07 Caruso.flac'
    Error opening file '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/07 Caruso.m4a' check no other program has it open.Resource temporarily unavailable (errno:35) [Open]
    Error converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/10 Ave Maria.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/10 Ave Maria.flac'
    Error opening file '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/10 Ave Maria.m4a' check no other program has it open.Resource temporarily unavailable (errno:35) [Open]

The folks at Yate programmed an action to compare the meta data in two files. Here are the results on the Botti album I tried to convert. Not sure if this is helpful however it does show a number of blanks where the .m4a file had values.

File 0: /Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/01 Deborah's Theme [From Once Upon A Time In America].m4a
    File 1: /Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/01 Deborah's Theme [From Once Upon A Time In America].flac

Sort Artist:
    Initial = Botti, Chris
    Current =
    Sort Album Artist:
    Initial = Botti, Chris
    Current =
    Encoded By:
    Initial = iTunes 8.1.1
    Current = reference libFLAC 1.3.3 20190804
    User Defined Text Info:
    Initial item count: 16
    Current item count: 19
    Item Encoding Params no longer exists
    Item iTunNORM no longer exists
    Item iTunes_CDDB_IDs no longer exists
    Item MusicBrainz Recording Id no longer exists
    Item MusicBrainz Release Country no longer exists
    Item MusicBrainz Release Group Id no longer exists
    Item MusicBrainz Release Id no longer exists
    Item MusicBrainz Release Status no longer exists
    Item MusicBrainz Release Track Id no longer exists
    Item MusicBrainz Release Type no longer exists
    Item Track Position no longer exists
    Items have been rearranged
    Item ARTIST SORT added
    Item ALBUM ARTIST SORT added
    Item CONTENT RATING added
    Item ENCODING PARAMS added
    Item ITUNES_CDDB_IDS added
    Item MUSICBRAINZ TRACK ID added
    Item MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM RELEASE COUNTRY added
    Item MUSICBRAINZ RELEASE GROUP ID added
    Item MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID added
    Item MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM STATUS added
    Item MUSICBRAINZ RELEASE TRACK ID added
    Item MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE added
    Item TRACK NUMBER TEXT added
    Item ARTWORKDESCRIPTOR added
    Artwork:
    item 1:
    Initial key desc = Main Front - 2000x2000
    Current key desc =
    item 2:
    Initial key desc = Main Back
    Current key desc =
    Initial key pictureType = 4
    Current key pictureType = 3
    item 3:
    Initial key desc = Medium
    Current key desc =
    Initial key pictureType = 6
    item 4:
    Initial key desc = Tray
    Current key desc =
    Initial key pictureType = 0
    item 5:
    Initial key desc = Booklet
    Current key desc =
    Initial key pictureType = 5
    item 6:
    Current key desc =
    item 7:
    Current key desc =
    item 8:
    Current key desc =
    item 9:
    Current key desc =
    item 10:
    Current key desc =
    item 11:
    Current key desc =
    item 12:
    Current key desc =
    item 13:
    Current key desc =
    item 14:
    Current key desc =
    item 15:
    Current key desc =
    item 16:
    Initial key desc = Front
    Current key desc =

Super Moderator

Thanks for the debug logs. The info I was after is there (errno:35).

New build:
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/DMC-R173b6.dmg
    Added workaround for random failure to read files on your NAS.

As for ALAC vs FLAC tag differences, they are being looked into.

Thanks for the debug logs. The info I was after is there (errno:35).

New build:
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/DMC-R173b6.dmg
    Added workaround for random failure to read files on your NAS.

As for ALAC vs FLAC tag differences, they are being looked into.
    Peter,

I'm sorry. Here's what happened.

Error converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/07 Angel Eyes.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/07 Angel Eyes.flac'
    Error opening file '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/07 Angel Eyes.m4a' check no other program has it open.Resource temporarily unavailable (errno:35) [Open]
    Error converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/18 If You're Lonely (Solo Piano Alternate Take).m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/18 If You're Lonely (Solo Piano Alternate Take).flac'
    Error opening file '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/18 If You're Lonely (Solo Piano Alternate Take).m4a' check no other program has it open.Resource temporarily unavailable (errno:35) [Open]
    Error converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/19 Madame X.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/19 Madame X.flac'
    Error opening file '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/19 Madame X.m4a' check no other program has it open.Resource temporarily unavailable (errno:35) [Open]

Super Moderator

Thanks for the details.
    More thorough workaround added-
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/DMC-R173b7.dmg

Thanks for the details.
    More thorough workaround added-
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/DMC-R173b7.dmg
    Peter,

Thought you might want to see the results for the Booker album below. While that worked, the Botti album...came back with two different messages. See both results after the Booker album. Does the "error" message trump the messages found in the "information" window?

Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/01 Classified.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/01 Classified.flac'
    Audio File Passed Verification
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/02 If You're Lonely.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/02 If You're Lonely.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/03 Warsaw Concerto.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/03 Warsaw Concerto.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/04 Lawdy Miss Clawdy (Solo Piano Alternate Take).m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/04 Lawdy Miss Clawdy (Solo Piano Alternate Take).flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/05 Medley_ Tico Tico _ Papa Was A Rascal _ So Swell When You're Well.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/05 Medley_ Tico Tico _ Papa Was A Rascal _ So Swell When You're Well.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/06 All Around The World.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/06 All Around The World.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/07 Angel Eyes.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/07 Angel Eyes.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/08 Lonely Avenue.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/08 Lonely Avenue.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/09 Professor Longhair Medley_ Tipitina _ Bald Head.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/09 Professor Longhair Medley_ Tipitina _ Bald Head.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/10 King Of The Road.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/10 King Of The Road.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/11 Theme From The Godfather.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/11 Theme From The Godfather.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/12 Lawdy Miss Clawdy.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/12 Lawdy Miss Clawdy.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/13 I'm Not Sayin'.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/13 I'm Not Sayin'.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/14 Hound Dog.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/14 Hound Dog.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/15 All These Things.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/15 All These Things.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/16 Yes Sir, That's My Baby.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/16 Yes Sir, That's My Baby.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/17 Baby Face.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/17 Baby Face.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/18 If You're Lonely (Solo Piano Alternate Take).m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/18 If You're Lonely (Solo Piano Alternate Take).flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/19 Madame X.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/19 Madame X.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/20 One For The Highway.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/20 One For The Highway.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/21 Three Keys.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/21 Three Keys.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/22 Amen.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Booker, James/Classified/22 Amen.flac'

Botti message from the error window:

Error converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/06 I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/06 I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face.flac'
    Error opening file, check no other program has it open. [WriteIDTags]
    Unable to tag file '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/06 I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face.flac'

Botti message on the information window:

Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/01 Deborah's Theme [From Once Upon A Time In America].m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/01 Deborah's Theme [From Once Upon A Time In America].flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/02 Italia.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/02 Italia.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/03 Venice.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/03 Venice.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/04 The Very Thought Of You.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/04 The Very Thought Of You.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/05 Gabriel's Oboe [From The Mission].m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/05 Gabriel's Oboe [From The Mission].flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/06 I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/06 I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/07 Caruso.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/07 Caruso.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/08 The Way You Look Tonight.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/08 The Way You Look Tonight.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/09 It Never Entered My Mind.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/09 It Never Entered My Mind.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/10 Ave Maria.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/10 Ave Maria.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/11 Estate.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/11 Estate.flac'
    Information converting to FLAC, '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/12 Nessun Dorma.m4a' to '/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Botti, Chris/Italia/12 Nessun Dorma.flac'

Super Moderator

Thanks for the details.

New build:
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/DMC-R173b8.dmg

Added workaround for momentarily unavailable files when writing tags, per error log above.

It would be interesting to know why this condition happens... as if something was working with the files (media scanner? virus scanner?) making them momentarily unavailable to dBpoweramp.