title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Flac uncompressed question

  1. #1
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    149

    Flac uncompressed question

    Hi, if I rip a CD using CD ripper to flac uncompressed, it says FLAC (0% compressed). If I now take the same ripped, uncompressed FLAC file and go to music converter and change the ripped file to 16/48 flac uncompressed or even 24/96 flac uncompressed, the resultant file shows compression parameters of 25-27% even though it should be uncompressed (0%). why is this?

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    40,763

    Re: Flac uncompressed question

    The internals of FLAC will still try to compress 24 bit, it is not possible to stop that.

  3. #3
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,740

    Re: Flac uncompressed question

    Why would you want to convert a 16/44.1 ripped file to 24/96? You can't magically change a redbook CD into a high-res file. And why to 16/48? I have a hard time understanding what you are trying to achieve.

  4. #4
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    149

    Re: Flac uncompressed question

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Why would you want to convert a 16/44.1 ripped file to 24/96? You can't magically change a redbook CD into a high-res file. And why to 16/48? I have a hard time understanding what you are trying to achieve.
    Trying to understand how FLAC works.

    As for converting 16/44.1 into 24/96 or even higher, I believe most CD player DACs do it anyway. Don't know whether it sounds more 'airy' or not, many manufacturers claim it does.

    As for 16/48, modern iphones dont have 44.1 playback, they will convert to 48khz all 16/44.1 files you put into them. So if you dont want the iphone to resample on the fly, you can do it yourself beforehand. Not that I do.

  5. #5
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Flac uncompressed question

    Hey Partha,

    Quote Originally Posted by Partha View Post
    Don't know whether it sounds more 'airy' or not, many manufacturers claim it does.
    in communications engineering and computer science there are the terms information and signal, which we have to differentiate. An Audio CD (Redbook) can contain no more audio information than you can store in the signal with 16 bit per channel and a samplerate of 44.1 kHz (as it is not compressed). When you convert the Audio CD you can increase the signal (i.e. 24 bit per channel and 48 kHz samplerate), but not the information.

    Dat Ei

  6. #6
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,740

    Re: Flac uncompressed question

    Quote Originally Posted by Partha View Post
    Trying to understand how FLAC works.

    As for converting 16/44.1 into 24/96 or even higher, I believe most CD player DACs do it anyway. Don't know whether it sounds more 'airy' or not, many manufacturers claim it does.

    As for 16/48, modern iphones dont have 44.1 playback, they will convert to 48khz all 16/44.1 files you put into them. So if you dont want the iphone to resample on the fly, you can do it yourself beforehand. Not that I do.

    thanks for the explanation. You'd really have to know what your DAC is doing, otherwise you're doing multiple conversions of the same file.

  7. #7
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    149

    Re: Flac uncompressed question

    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Hey Partha,



    in communications engineering and computer science there are the terms information and signal, which we have to differentiate. An Audio CD (Redbook) can contain no more audio information than you can store in the signal with 16 bit per channel and a samplerate of 44.1 kHz (as it is not compressed). When you convert the Audio CD you can increase the signal (i.e. 24 bit per channel and 48 kHz samplerate), but not the information.

    Dat Ei
    Very True. Makes me wonder if any Hi-Res files on sale out there are actually upsampled CDs!

  8. #8
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    149

    Re: Flac uncompressed question

    However, I would like to add a caveat: In the Onkyo HF app on my iphone, any lossless resolution upsampled to hi-res plays back differently. Not that the audio is better, just that the sound is less brittle, if you may. I think upsampling lossless files can even degrade audio, or make it different. Could be the playback software.

  9. #9
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Flac uncompressed question

    Quote Originally Posted by Partha View Post
    Makes me wonder if any Hi-Res files on sale out there are actually upsampled CDs!
    The sneaking suspicion is as old as hi res files. I've read about programs that claim to be able to tell between simply upsampled CDs and true hi res files.

    Dat Ei

  10. #10
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,740

    Re: Flac uncompressed question

    Quote Originally Posted by Partha View Post
    Very True. Makes me wonder if any Hi-Res files on sale out there are actually upsampled CDs!
    There are certainly reported cases of this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •