title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Flac uncompressed question

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Flac uncompressed question

Hi, if I rip a CD using CD ripper to flac uncompressed, it says FLAC (0% compressed). If I now take the same ripped, uncompressed FLAC file and go to music converter and change the ripped file to 16/48 flac uncompressed or even 24/96 flac uncompressed, the resultant file shows compression parameters of 25-27% even though it should be uncompressed (0%). why is this?

Administrator

Re: Flac uncompressed question

The internals of FLAC will still try to compress 24 bit, it is not possible to stop that.

dBpoweramp Guru

Why would you want to convert a 16/44.1 ripped file to 24/96? You can't magically change a redbook CD into a high-res file. And why to 16/48? I have a hard time understanding what you are trying to achieve.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Why would you want to convert a 16/44.1 ripped file to 24/96? You can't magically change a redbook CD into a high-res file. And why to 16/48? I have a hard time understanding what you are trying to achieve.
    Trying to understand how FLAC works.

As for converting 16/44.1 into 24/96 or even higher, I believe most CD player DACs do it anyway. Don't know whether it sounds more 'airy' or not, many manufacturers claim it does.

As for 16/48, modern iphones dont have 44.1 playback, they will convert to 48khz all 16/44.1 files you put into them. So if you dont want the iphone to resample on the fly, you can do it yourself beforehand. Not that I do.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Partha,

Quote Originally Posted by Partha View Post
    Don't know whether it sounds more 'airy' or not, many manufacturers claim it does.
    in communications engineering and computer science there are the terms information and signal, which we have to differentiate. An Audio CD (Redbook) can contain no more audio information than you can store in the signal with 16 bit per channel and a samplerate of 44.1 kHz (as it is not compressed). When you convert the Audio CD you can increase the signal (i.e. 24 bit per channel and 48 kHz samplerate), but not the information.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Trying to understand how FLAC works.

As for converting 16/44.1 into 24/96 or even higher, I believe most CD player DACs do it anyway. Don't know whether it sounds more 'airy' or not, many manufacturers claim it does.

As for 16/48, modern iphones dont have 44.1 playback, they will convert to 48khz all 16/44.1 files you put into them. So if you dont want the iphone to resample on the fly, you can do it yourself beforehand. Not that I do.

thanks for the explanation. You'd really have to know what your DAC is doing, otherwise you're doing multiple conversions of the same file.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Hey Partha,

in communications engineering and computer science there are the terms information and signal, which we have to differentiate. An Audio CD (Redbook) can contain no more audio information than you can store in the signal with 16 bit per channel and a samplerate of 44.1 kHz (as it is not compressed). When you convert the Audio CD you can increase the signal (i.e. 24 bit per channel and 48 kHz samplerate), but not the information.

Dat Ei
    Very True. Makes me wonder if any Hi-Res files on sale out there are actually upsampled CDs!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

However, I would like to add a caveat: In the Onkyo HF app on my iphone, any lossless resolution upsampled to hi-res plays back differently. Not that the audio is better, just that the sound is less brittle, if you may. I think upsampling lossless files can even degrade audio, or make it different. Could be the playback software.

dBpoweramp Guru

Makes me wonder if any Hi-Res files on sale out there are actually upsampled CDs!
    The sneaking suspicion is as old as hi res files. I've read about programs that claim to be able to tell between simply upsampled CDs and true hi res files.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Very True. Makes me wonder if any Hi-Res files on sale out there are actually upsampled CDs!
    There are certainly reported cases of this.