title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hdcd dsp

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hdcd dsp

Hi, If I rip a normal 16-44.1 CD and use the HDCD DSP plugin (+6db unchecked), will it result in lower volume rips?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Hdcd dsp

Also, If I am changing bit depth while ripping, should I put the HDCD plugin before or after the bit depth change (usually last in chain).

Administrator

Normal CDs are untouched, no voloume changes.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Ok

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Partha View Post
    Also, If I am changing bit depth while ripping, should I put the HDCD plugin before or after the bit depth change (usually last in chain).
    why are you using HDCD DSP *and* the bit depth change. If it is a HDCD cd, the HDCD DSP will change the bit depth. So why both? No reason to change the bit depth of a regular 16/44.1 CD.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    why are you using HDCD DSP *and* the bit depth change. If it is a HDCD cd, the HDCD DSP will change the bit depth. So why both? No reason to change the bit depth of a regular 16/44.1 CD.
    yup

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi, just continuing to understand the HDCD function. I ripped the Dire Straits Brothers In Arms 50th anniversary SACD using the HDCD DSP (without +6db checked) and it ripped to 24 bit 44.1 khz. Ripping it again, I added a 96 khz resampling to the DSP. However, the file ripped only to 16 bit 96 khz. Is there no way to get 24-96 rips from an SACD? Is the default 44.1 and adding another DSP reduces the rip to 16 bits? will you please check?

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi, just continuing to understand the HDCD function. I ripped the Dire Straits Brothers In Arms 50th anniversary SACD using the HDCD DSP (without +6db checked) and it ripped to 24 bit 44.1 khz. Ripping it again, I added a 96 khz resampling to the DSP. However, the file ripped only to 16 bit 96 khz. Is there no way to get 24-96 rips from an SACD? Is the default 44.1 and adding another DSP reduces the rip to 16 bits? will you please check?

SACD is not the same as HDCD. Some (most?) SACD CDs have a redbook (16/44.1) layer that can be ripped just like a CD, but you're not ripping the SACD layer. The HDCD DSP has nothing to do with ripping in the example you give. It is rare to be able to rip a SACD. (Can't be done with dbpoweramp).
    See:
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...el-CD-SACD-rip
    Last edited by garym; 09-11-2020 at 02:18 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

SACD is not the same as HDCD. Some (most?) SACD CDs have a redbook (16/44.1) layer that can be ripped just like a CD, but you're not ripping the SACD layer. The HDCD DSP has nothing to do with ripping in the example you give. It is rare to be able to rip a SACD. (Can't be done with dbpoweramp).
    See:
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...el-CD-SACD-rip
    But it did rip to 24 bit, so some small success I guess...

dBpoweramp Guru

But it did rip to 24 bit, so some small success I guess...

Depends on how you define success. All you did was rip a 16/44.1 file to 24bit. That's basically meaningless (just a larger size file containing the same audio info).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

True. Does dbpoweramp have plans to decode SACD in future, or even make a .iso file? Or are there copyright issues?

dBpoweramp Guru

True. Does dbpoweramp have plans to decode SACD in future, or even make a .iso file? Or are there copyright issues?
    Unlikely as one would have to have an old sony playstation with correct firmware to even try to do it. The makers of SACD disks do NOT want them ripped.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Unlikely as one would have to have an old sony playstation with correct firmware to even try to do it. The makers of SACD disks do NOT want them ripped.
    since when has that stopped us?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Depends on how you define success. All you did was rip a 16/44.1 file to 24bit. That's basically meaningless (just a larger size file containing the same audio info).
    I must point out that I did not, the HDCD DSP did. The same dsp leaves 16-bit normal CDs as it is, but for SACDs it decided to decode to 24-bit.

dBpoweramp Guru

I must point out that I did not, the HDCD DSP did. The same dsp leaves 16-bit normal CDs as it is, but for SACDs it decided to decode to 24-bit.

no clue what happened there. I don't use HDCD DSP, even on my HDCDs (because I want a bit perfect rip, and ripping via the DSP you no longer have a bit perfect rip). I could later convert my rips to other versions using the HDCD DSP, but I've found it is rarely worth it because many HDCDs don't actually use the HDCD features that make a difference (e.g, Peak Extension).