title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: dBpoweramp sound distortion on ripped track but not with 'Windows Media Player'?

Question dBpoweramp sound distortion on ripped track but not with 'Windows Media Player'?

Problem:

When ripping "Arrival" CD (the film soundtrack) Track 1 (and only track 1 of 20) has repeatable distortion added in a few places. I always use FLAC and tried the rip about 10 times with the same results, I then tried using all supplied codecs, mp3, etc, but again got the same distorted result?. So I tried using 'Window Media Player' set it to FLAC and, no problems at all. Distortion gone, Track ripped perfectly?

Note: I am using the latest version of Windows 10 (problem applies to R16.6 & R17.1 and when using an older Windows 10 versions too).

Anyone got any ideas here?

Administrator

Re: dBpoweramp sound distortion on ripped track but not with 'Windows Media Player'?

Check you have no dsp effects running when ripping.

Re: dBpoweramp sound distortion on ripped track but not with 'Windows Media Player'?

I'll check, but I never use dsp effects and as stated only affects track 1 of 20 total?

Administrator

Try setting ripping mode to burst, this will be the same as Windows Media Player, then rip track 1.

I always use burst mode by default. I only use secure mode if problems occur. Therefore I have also tried this rip in secure mode to no avail. I have both good and bad ripped tracks available in flac if you think hearing the distortion may help? By the way this is the only occurrence of distortion like this in over 5K ripped CDs.

Administrator

It is likely specific to the drive, and how we operate the drive. There are often firmware issues in the drives. It is highly unlikely we have issues in our ripping code as it has generally not changed in 10 years and would have been reported by now (in those 10 years CD Ripper has ripped half a billion CDs)

Thanks for the replies. More than anything just wanted to notify you in case it was a problem? I can live with the 'Windows Media Player' conversion on 1 track . Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

When you use CD Ripper to rip the Arrival soundtrack, what is reported in the Rip Status and error log? Do you get an AccurateRip?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    When you use CD Ripper to rip the Arrival soundtrack, what is reported in the Rip Status and error log? Do you get an AccurateRip?
    AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 91)

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Check you have no dsp effects running when ripping.
    I switched on my main computer this morning to check as request the DSP settings. I can't explain how because I have never intentionally set any of them, but, 'Volume Nomalize' was set to add 3dB? So I removed this setting and re-ripped the track in question. Now playing the newly ripped track back in 'Groove Music Player' (which I was using previously) it still had the sound distortion, but switching to 'VLC Media Player' the distortion was gone?

Administrator

+3dB would add distortion

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by uk-trev View Post
    I switched on my main computer this morning to check as request the DSP settings. I can't explain how because I have never intentionally set any of them, but, 'Volume Nomalize' was set to add 3dB? So I removed this setting and re-ripped the track in question. Now playing the newly ripped track back in 'Groove Music Player' (which I was using previously) it still had the sound distortion, but switching to 'VLC Media Player' the distortion was gone?

If you get distortion in one player but not another, playing the same file, the problem can't be in the file itself. It is something in playback settings of the player.