title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Dbpoweramp vs Ez cd audio

Dbpoweramp vs Ez cd audio

ez cd says it's audio converter is optimized for best audio quality with ultra precise 64 bit floating point was just wondering if dbpoweramp does that too?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Dbpoweramp vs Ez cd audio

An Audio CD contains the music in PCM codec with 16 bit per channel and 44100 samples per second. dBpoweramp reads the digital data, builds a checksum and compares the checksum with checksums stored in a database to prove the correctness of the digital read out and that the data are an 1:1 copy. The original data give you the best sound quality you can get.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

As @Dat Ei says, the best a ripper can do is create a bitperfect copy of the tracks from the original CD. dbpoweramp does that well, and is one of the few programs that uses AccurateRip to confirm with a giant database that your rip actually matches the rips of many others. dbpa is the "gold standard" for CD ripping. Don't know about Ez cd audio, but based on your one quot from them, it sounds like "snake oil" to me. And in about any digital music forums where people are super serious about ripping CDs, you'll only hear 3 programs mentioned: dbpoweramp, EAC, and CueTools. dbpoweramp is the easiest to use and perhaps the most powerful in terms of options. And the maker of dbpa also invented and manages the AccurateRip database concept. Having AccurateRip results is likely the KEY thing one looks for in a secure ripper.

I don't think the user asked about CD ripper. Yes CDs are 16-bit. But how about audio conversion between audio file formats. Isn't it bad quality if dbPoweramp does only format to 16-bit to new format. I think it makes sense to make the conversion in higher accuracy for better audio quality and is that what Ez cd audio does ? I did not try the other program yet, but it sounds sensible for me to do high accurate conversoon for example high resolution Flac or mp3 to m4a ?

Administrator

It is not required normally, I will give examples:

Converting a Lossless (16 bit file) to mp3

If this file is converted directly from 16 bit to mp3, then the resulting file will be identically sounding if the file is first converted to 64 bit floating point, nothing is gained from doing that.

64 bit floating point not actually used much in the audio world, here it is more of a marketing gimick, as no encoders will take 64 bit float directly (32 bit yes).

32 bit float is used in production studios to downmix multiple tracks, and allow for precise volume setting without clipping prior to bit reduction to 24 or 16 bit.

So dbpoweramp uses 32 bit floating point? and spoon i agree ez cd is just marketing gimmick cause 64 bit is way more than is necessary!

Administrator

If you include the DSP effect 'Bit Depth' you can use 32 floating point, but is not needed unless you are doing signal processing.

This is interesting so I made some research.

Many professional audio editing programs use 64-bit floating point.

Higher precision means less rounding numbers it means less errors when manipulating the audio signal. Every change to the audio signal will be closer to the original quality. It affects when mixing channels, changing sample rate, normalizing volume, and any other audio signal manipulation. Allows full 32-bit integer audio signal processing without quality loss. Audio format conversion with less rounding errors.

So I think the high precision may make sense in many cases. Maybe we can have it in dbPoweramp too ?

Noops i'm with you you got a good point!

Administrator

No encoder takes 64 bit float.

Then 32 bit float at least? and why doesn't dbpoweramp used parallel to maximize its encoding speed

dBpoweramp Guru

dBpoweramp uses all cores and gains a speed up by a parallelization over the files to convert.

Dat Ei

Administrator

I am locking this thread, the Posts from Jueeze and Dye are the same person. Seems to be all about pushing alternative products.