title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Metadata not found

Metadata not found

Hi, not been on here for ages (previous account when I was using a RipNas whose software was dbpoweramp based).

Some while ago I installed The free trial of dbpoweramp CD ripper on my iMac - my RipNas had died after 10 years or so and I only rip the odd CD now and again. After the trial expired I continued to use the ripper in conjunction with mp3tag, but got fed up with manually writing tags.

Today I paid for the reference version and duly installed. The first rip was Cassandra Wilson’s album “New Moon Daughter” - not particularly obscure, if a little old. Although the album artist, title, genre and date were found, there were no track titles. I had to manually search for them and even then the first search found the first 12 track titles, but not the last. I persisted and eventually Discogs found all 13 track titles.

The point of my post is that the reason for paying for the reference version was so everything was automatic. Am I doing something wrong. Any advice gratefully received.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Metadata not found

Quote Originally Posted by Paulpot View Post
    Hi, not been on here for ages (previous account when I was using a RipNas whose software was dbpoweramp based).

Some while ago I installed The free trial of dbpoweramp CD ripper on my iMac - my RipNas had died after 10 years or so and I only rip the odd CD now and again. After the trial expired I continued to use the ripper in conjunction with mp3tag, but got fed up with manually writing tags.

Today I paid for the reference version and duly installed. The first rip was Cassandra Wilson&*8217;s album &*8220;New Moon Daughter&*8221; - not particularly obscure, if a little old. Although the album artist, title, genre and date were found, there were no track titles. I had to manually search for them and even then the first search found the first 12 track titles, but not the last. I persisted and eventually Discogs found all 13 track titles.

The point of my post is that the reason for paying for the reference version was so everything was automatic. Am I doing something wrong. Any advice gratefully received.

Seems odd. I've ripped about 4,000 CDs with dbpa, and 99% were automatic with regard to tag metadata information. Maybe something about that particular CD. What about other CDs when you rip them?

dBpoweramp Guru

When that happens you should open the "manual metadata Review page (click on the red symbol of a paper tag at the top of the window) and see what was provided. Actually before that click on the green box to the right of it and click on the Active Providers" tab in the dropdown box and make sure all the providers are checked.

Anyway, if the manual metadata review shows tags that did not come from one of the four providers, they probably came from CD text info burned into the CD, and I've seen some very wrong CD text data on CDs. (Like the title of the CD saying "My CD" and the tracks having studio cut info in them). dBpoweramp gives priority to CD Text data. If that is the case, just click on the provider info you think is correct and it will replace what dBpoweramp has chosen.

The other possibility is that your antivirus or firewall is blocking some or all of the metadata search.

Thanks to both of you for advice. I tried ripping some random CDs and they worked fine. Maybe just a quirk with the one album I decided to rip first.