title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Audio Quality Properties Question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bespin1138
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jun 2020

Audio Quality Properties Question

Hi:

I have a general question about audio quality properties. I am currently ripping my audio CD collection to FLAC using dBpoweramp software. I am using the recommended rip settings. I use an additional software called "Fakin' the Funk," which is an audio analyzer which analyzes audio files to check if their audio properties are real, fake, corrupt, or unreadable. During various points in my ripping process, I do a scan with the analyzer to check the condition of the FLAC files. Most are listed as real, while there are a few fakes in terms of their actual bit rates being lower than what the files claim their bit rates to be (e.g. an audio file listed as 900 bitrates, but actually has 320 bitrates). In the past, I would re-rip the CD, but still get the same results. On some CDs, some of the tracks are listed as fake, others have all the tracks listed as fake, and most are listed as real. My audio CDs are the ones I buy on Amazon or at my local Walmart.

My question is would the reason why my FLAC files would be listed as fake be due to reasons such as how the CD was recorded or produced at the music studio (e.g. the recording or mixing equipment used or quality of the source material) or is it because an audio analyzer is not perfect in detecting or examining an audio file's properties?

Thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Audio Quality Properties Question

The audio analyzer is not perfect, it is a false positive.

Bit rate means nothing for FLAC, it uncompresses exactly the same each time, so it does not matter if the bit rate is 100kbps or 1000kbps, the audio is identical to the cd, unless the file is corrupted which the software will say when decoding.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>