title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Question regarding a new System with ECC and Xeon for even more accurate ripping?

Question regarding a new System with ECC and Xeon for even more accurate ripping?

Hello there!
    I have been using dBpoweramp for quite some time and rarely had problems. But now I am wondering if there would be any benefit in building a system with ECC Ram. This would also require a compatible processor (Xeon) and mainboard of course, all just running win 10.

I understand that memory errors are quite rare and probably could only occur in the encoding process since the actual rips are verified by the accurate rip. I mean if such an error occurs while encoding and/or writing could this potentially be hearable? I would think even with crc that an error during the encoding would just be included in the checksum.

On a similar note ripping of DVD and Blu Ray Discs which have up to 100 times the size of CDs could also take place, due to the longer rips and (sadly) no accurate rip (yet?) would the ECC help here to ensure no errors occur or that no files become corrupted?

I am really wondering if the effort and expense of an ECC system makes a (even more accurate) difference or brings peace of mind.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Question regarding a new System with ECC and Xeon for even more accurate ripping?

Forget about ECC and save the money. Most problems are caused by the storage, not the RAM. Additionaly you can repeat the check of the CRC to see,if something happend to your music file and if it still matches the AccurateRip CRC.

Dat Ei

Re: Question regarding a new System with ECC and Xeon for even more accurate ripping?

Thanks for the reply. I guess you are right for CDs with Accurate Rip.

But would you think that if there are memory errors during a longer rip (say 15 mins for a Blu Ray or DVD), would that be noticeable (hearble or viewable) or could that even result in a totally inaccessible or corrupt file? Just out of curiosity...

Administrator

If your system has memory errors, then Windows will not even run correctly, it will be obvious.