title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ripping Mission Accomplished (mostly) - Thanks to Spoon and Illustrate

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripping Mission Accomplished (mostly) - Thanks to Spoon and Illustrate

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Congrats garym!!

I have nowhere near the number of CDs that you have, but the process of starting with an iPod and eventually ripping everything to flac is familiar. Tagging is still an on-going process for me. I've become more selective in the CDs I buy, and Spotify has been an aid in what I do buy.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG45 View Post
    Congrats garym!!

I have nowhere near the number of CDs that you have, but the process of starting with an iPod and eventually ripping everything to flac is familiar. Tagging is still an on-going process for me. I've become more selective in the CDs I buy, and Spotify has been an aid in what I do buy.

Yeah, I've been buying CDs since 1985. First CD purchase was the CD version of Bob Dylan's Biograph box set. In the late 80s and all through the 90s, the place my work colleagues and I ate lunch at almost every day was right next door to a great used CD shop. They had several bins for "new arrivals". Essentially every day after lunch a buddy and I would stop in and peruse the new arrivals bin and pick up anything interesting.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I bought my first CD in 1985 -- two years before I bought my first CD player. In the interim I used a friend's CD player to record my small number of discs onto cassette tapes. About 2000 CDs later I ripped my collection into MP3s and that revitalized my collection/listening habits because it became much easier to select anything from my catalog. Fortunately I had a Discmakers Pico to automate a good part of the ripping.

I hate the term "digital" for MP3 files and the like -- CDs have been digital from day one. People refer to converting CDs to digital format; they are already digital darnit!

A big thing I miss is the availability of used CDs. Most of the source of them for me has dried up. Sources like Spotify and Apple Music have taken their bite out of CD sales. A store in my city (Austin, TX, USA) called Cheapo had several thousand used CDs come in each day (not an exaggeration), but unfortunately business declined enough and they closed a few years ago. The only decent source now for me is Half Price Books.[/FONT]

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by linkman View Post
    I bought my first CD in 1985 -- two years before I bought my first CD player.
    Funny, my first CD purchase (the previously mentioned Bob Dylan Biograph set) was BEFORE I bought my first CD player. I'm from Texas originally and have bought many, many CDs from Waterloo Records. Everytime I was in Austin, I'd check out the local music shelves and load up....