title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mass Removing Leading and Trailing Whitespaces From a Tag Field

Mass Removing Leading and Trailing Whitespaces From a Tag Field

Hello,

Long-time user of DBPoweramp, former lurker of this forum, and first time poster here. My operating system is Mac OS Catalina.

I decided to tackle a task that I've been wanting to do for years which was to remove the replay gain and Comment iTunNORM/iTunNORM tags from the audio files in my 70,000 song library and start fresh. I recalculated the Replay Gain and iTunes Track Normalization fields using DBpoweramp's Batch Converter Replay Gain encoding utility. Once I completed the job I went to check the iTunNORM tags only to find that there was a leading whitespace before each of the Comment iTunNORM and iTunNORM tags. This is a problem because iTunes won't recognize the normalization adjustment if there is a space at the beginning of the number. I've spent hours doing research on how to remove this whitespace and tried countless tagging programs but to no avail.

Could someone please provide me with a solution to removing this whitespace using DBPoweramp? It would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator

Re: Mass Removing Leading and Trailing Whitespaces From a Tag Field

If dBpoweramp wrote the ID tags it would have written them without a space, perhaps upload a file to dropbox and provide me a link by Personal mail please.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If dBpoweramp wrote the ID tags it would have written them without a space, perhaps upload a file to dropbox and provide me a link by Personal mail please.
    What is your personal email? Here's a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwztvbjqs4...cket.aiff?dl=0

Administrator

I have your file, It is likely not the space, rather iTunes was updated to reject certain iTuneNORM tags, because of the values present in the tags. Use the latest version of dBpoweramp (R17.1) as this was updated for R17 and reconvert all the AIFF files to the encoder '[Replaygain]', this will rewrite the values.

I replied to your comment but it said my post was being reviewed by moderators? What is your personal email so I can send you this Dropbox link?

dBpoweramp Guru

You can use the board function to send a private message by just clicking on the user name.

Dat Ei

Administrator

See my reply 2 messages up

I have your file, It is likely not the space, rather iTunes was updated to reject certain iTuneNORM tags, because of the values present in the tags. Use the latest version of dBpoweramp (R17.1) as this was updated for R17 and reconvert all the AIFF files to the encoder '[Replaygain]', this will rewrite the values.
    Thank you for your help so far. I updated to 17.2 and so I'll try to reencode the files and let you know the results.

I'm new to ReplayGain and how to manipulate it. What should I put for "Maximum Gain" if I'm trying to get all of my songs to play at the same volume level?
    Last edited by AudibleImagery; 09-10-2020 at 07:12 PM.

I keep getting the following error message during the encoding process: "dBPoweramp Music Converter quit unexpectedly." but dBPoweamp isn't quitting and the encoding process is still running.

Administrator

What are you doing exactly?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AudibleImagery View Post
    Thank you for your help so far. I updated to 17.2 and so I'll try to reencode the files and let you know the results.

I'm new to ReplayGain and how to manipulate it. What should I put for "Maximum Gain" if I'm trying to get all of my songs to play at the same volume level?

Where are you seeing a setting for "Maximum Gain" in the ReplayGain settings? There is no need to "manipulate" replaygain. Simply use the ReplayGain DSP in ripping or converting, and set it to add both ALBUM and TRACK ReplayGain tag info. The default volume level is based on LUFS = -18. This can be set higher or lower in the ReplayGain advanced settings. I use the default of -18 personally.

What are you doing exactly?
    I am attempting to apply ReplayGain encoding to 75,000 songs (usually played in iTunes) in dBpoweramp's batch converter using the [ReplayGain] encoding. I'm using Track, Album Gain & iTunes Track Normalization with Albums Identified By as "All Files in Same Folder", "ReplayGain" as the Gain Calculation, Maximum Gain at 25 dB (although I'm unsure about this setting), "Disable Clip Prevention" unchecked, and "Preserve Data Modified Time" checked.

In addition to the "dBpoweramp unexpectedly quit error", the encoding also didn't finish. It got to the last song and just was stuck there and never showed me the Results screen.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Where are you seeing a setting for "Maximum Gain" in the ReplayGain settings? There is no need to "manipulate" replaygain. Simply use the ReplayGain DSP in ripping or converting, and set it to add both ALBUM and TRACK ReplayGain tag info. The default volume level is based on LUFS = -18. This can be set higher or lower in the ReplayGain advanced settings. I use the default of -18 personally.
    Hey garym, you seem really knowledgeable on this subject based on the countless posts about this topic that I've seen you weigh-in on and I really appreciate all of the knowledge that I've gleaned from you over the years.

By manipulation I just meant "operate" but I haven't been able to get the ReplayGain encoding to cooperate. I play my music in iTunes and I almost exclusively shuffle it. I've set the ReplayGain with Track, Album Gain & iTunes Track Normalization, "All Files in Same Folder", "ReplayGain" as the Gain Calculation, Maximum Gain at 25 dB (although I'm unsure about this setting; please see attached image), "Disable Clip Prevention" unchecked, and "Preserve Data Modified Time" checked.Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 10.16.24.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 10.16.24.jpg

dBpoweramp Guru

those settings are good. Mine is set at maximum of 25db as well. That must be the default. Keep in mind that iTunes and iPhones/iPads don't use the replaygain track or album tags in playback. But they use the iTunes track normalization info to "normalize" playback volume. I haven't used iTunes in a while, but on my apple players, I recall that I always had to turn "on" the volume normalization in the players. That is, the apple devices (ipods for example) didn't use the information unless I turned on a setting telling the iPod to use it. Have you done this?

those settings are good. Mine is set at maximum of 25db as well. That must be the default. Keep in mind that iTunes and iPhones/iPads don't use the replaygain track or album tags in playback. But they use the iTunes track normalization info to "normalize" playback volume. I haven't used iTunes in a while, but on my apple players, I recall that I always had to turn "on" the volume normalization in the players. That is, the apple devices (ipods for example) didn't use the information unless I turned on a setting telling the iPod to use it. Have you done this?
    I use SoundCheck on both of my devices. Is that what you're referring to?

Do you have any recommendations for media players other than iTunes that could utilize these ReplayGain tags?