title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Converting 24Bit Files

Converting 24Bit Files

My usage of dBpoweramp has been almost exclusively the CD Ripper. I really don't know Music Converter. Recently I have begun to purchase some downloads. My system these days is quite simple. I am using a MacBook with latest OS and use either iTunes or Roon for playback via a Sonos system. Some of the downloads are only available as 24bit files. I thought through my system I could only support 16bit. I have taken the 24bit FLAC downloads and using Music Converter converted them to ALAC (Apple Lossless) which is the file I use for all my library. However though the file now has the .m4a wrapper the file size remains the same at over 2GB (as an example). I can play the resulting files through my system. Am I actually converting this to a 16bit ALAC or is what I have really a 24bit ALAC? Can I use this tool to convert 24bit to 16bit?

Thanks for any guidance.

Administrator

Re: Converting 24Bit Files

Unless you included the DSP effect 'Bit Depth' set to 16 bit, the resulting Apple Lossless files would still be 24 bit.

Re: Converting 24Bit Files

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Unless you included the DSP effect 'Bit Depth' set to 16 bit, the resulting Apple Lossless files would still be 24 bit.
    Thank you so much. I have a couple of files to redo now.