title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How do I grab first character from the album artist sort tag in dynamic naming?

Question How do I grab first character from the album artist sort tag in dynamic naming?

My directory structure is a letter followed by artist then albums such as:

U/Underwood, Carrie/Blown Away/02 - Blown Away.FLAC

I use last name, first name in the artist sort and album artist sort tags. How do I do the dynamic naming to grab the first character from the artist sort or album artist sort tags?

I tried the following, which does not work:

[GRAB]1,1,[tag]album artist sort[]\[tag]album artist sort\[album]\[track] - [title]

I tried it with AlbumArtistSort and it did not work either. How do I get this to work?

Thanks.

Administrator

Re: How do I grab first character from the album artist sort tag in dynamic naming?

[GRAB]1,1,[tag]album artist sort[][]\[tag]album artist sort[]\[album]\[track] - [title]

Re: How do I grab first character from the album artist sort tag in dynamic naming?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    [GRAB]1,1,[tag]album artist sort[][]\[tag]album artist sort[]\[album]\[track] - [title]
    Thanks. When I enter that, the example shows the following:

\\Album Title\05 - Title

It is missing the letter directory and the artist directory like in my original post.

dBpoweramp Guru

You have to full in "album artist sort" in metadata in case you use that naming string.

Otherwise use "album artist" in the naming string.

Dat Ei

I burned a new CD yesterday with the code Spoon gave me and it did not work. It put the music files in the root directory as follows:

A
    B
    Z
    FLAC file 1
    FLAC file 2
    FLAC file 17

Yes, I had artist sort and album artist sort populated before burning .

Administrator

If using multi encoder you would set this naming string on each encoder page within multi-encoder.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If using multi encoder you would set this naming string on each encoder page within multi-encoder.
    Thanks. I already knew that, but was running only one encoder this time. I will check again as I have some more CDs coming that I need to burn.

dBpoweramp Guru

Are we talking about burning or ripping?

Dat Ei

Ripping CDs

Quote Originally Posted by mwhals View Post
    I burned a new CD yesterday with the code Spoon gave me and it did not work. It put the music files in the root directory as follows:

A
    B
    Z
    FLAC file 1
    FLAC file 2
    FLAC file 17

Yes, I had artist sort and album artist sort populated before burning .
    Figured out what went wrong. I had the correct dynamic naming for Flac and Alac in the multi encoder. The ripping I did was with just the FLAC encoder and I assumed it had the multi encoder FLAC dynamic numbering. It did not, it was just set to [track] - [title]. I have fixed it, but ironically won't be using single again since I have my ALAC files done now, so I will go back to multi encoder, which I always use.