title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Apply Track Offset

Apply Track Offset

I love the CD Ripper, but do have a (very minor) criticism.
    Would it be a good idea to change the 'Apply Track Number Offset' from a Pull-Down to an EditBox where we could simply type in a number.
    I find that a lot of the time I'm having to use the pull-down several times as the offset I'm trying to apply isn't one listed.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Apply Track Offset

Let me guess, you're trying to rip a multidisc album, do you?

Dat Ei

Yep, lots of them ;-)

dBpoweramp Guru

Just my 2 cents: I don't think that the offset method is the best practice. I prefer the method of using the disc number and track number in the naming as well as in the meta data. This way you can still tell which track is on which disc (in case of re-ripping or the wish to listen to the CD), the tracks can be sorted alphabetically by file explorers and dumb audio players, and good audio players can use the meta data.

Dat Ei

I like to rip to a 'single' album, as the original disk No./track No. is just a 'feature' inherited from the max capacity of a CD.

I should add that a lot of what I'm ripping are audio plays/books and some players will play track No.10 before track No.9 because of the Ascii order.
    This is disastrous when it's a play or audio book.
    Last edited by Amgard; 07-21-2020 at 07:00 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Amgard View Post
    I should add that a lot of what I'm ripping are audio plays/books and some players will play track No.10 before track No.9 because of the Ascii order.
    Therefore I suggest to use the disc number (two digits) and track number (two digits) in combination. If you use the offset method you will have even more problems with players that have a problem with the Ascii order.

Dat Ei

You're missing the point. I like the function that track offset gives, just not the GUI that gets me there.
    I understand you neither like track offsets or find a use a use for them, and that's your choice. But it isn't mine.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Therefore I suggest to use the disc number (two digits) and track number (two digits) in combination. If you use the offset method you will have even more problems with players that have a problem with the Ascii order.
    I couldn't agree more. The track offset feature is nonsense IMO and is more trouble than it's worth. I find the the use of disc number in ALL albums, a much better solution.

What I don't understand is why the track offset isn't set automatically (perhaps governed by an option). The typical use case is ripping the discs in a multi volume set in the correct order, one after the other.
    It's simple to examine the files in the target directory (at least for some formats like MP3) to find the maximum track number in those files and set the next number for the tracks of the current disc. Whiiel you are at it, you could also update the total track count when the n/total format is used.