title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Enable Ultra Secure Ripping = Errors

Enable Ultra Secure Ripping = Errors

Hello ~
    I've been trying to get a non-error rip using Enable Ultra Secure Ripping selected and after trying with a few different disks, it's not possible.
    My optical drive is C2 capable.
    If I de-select, "Enable Ultra Secure Ripping" then my rips are successful.

How important is using "Enable Ultra Secure Ripping" ?
    What exactly is Ultra Secure Ripping doing?
    If not selected, are my rips still well verified for accuracy

My log shows "AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 89) for most tracks from a lightly scratched disk. Is this good enough?
    Or, should confidence be 100?
    What is an acceptable confidence level?

from my log:
    Track 14: Ripped LBA 177980 to 195425 (3:52) in 0:23. Filename: /Users/kenheyman/Music/dbPoweramp Rips/Brian Setzer Orchestra, The/Vavoom!/14 Brian Setzer Orchestra, The - Gloria.flac
    AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 88) [Pass 1]
    CRC32: 701AD171 AccurateRip CRC: 98456EF9 (CRCv2) [DiscID: 014-0016312a-00ecb1fd-a80a2d0e-14]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 88 [CRCv2 98456ef9]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 68 [CRCv1 9d219020]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 10 [CRCv2 cb110043], Using Pressing Offset +295
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 5 [CRCv1 2c2e2ecf], Using Pressing Offset +295

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Enable Ultra Secure Ripping = Errors

Quote Originally Posted by Bambooken View Post
    My log shows "AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 89) for most tracks from a lightly scratched disk. Is this good enough?
    Or, should confidence be 100?
    What is an acceptable confidence level?

from my log:
    Track 14: Ripped LBA 177980 to 195425 (3:52) in 0:23. Filename: /Users/kenheyman/Music/dbPoweramp Rips/Brian Setzer Orchestra, The/Vavoom!/14 Brian Setzer Orchestra, The - Gloria.flac
    AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 88) [Pass 1]
    CRC32: 701AD171 AccurateRip CRC: 98456EF9 (CRCv2) [DiscID: 014-0016312a-00ecb1fd-a80a2d0e-14]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 88 [CRCv2 98456ef9]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 68 [CRCv1 9d219020]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 10 [CRCv2 cb110043], Using Pressing Offset +295
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 5 [CRCv1 2c2e2ecf], Using Pressing Offset +295
    I'm confused, as this log does not show an error in a rip. Don't be confused by the word "Confidence". This is not a probability where 100 is best. This is the number of matches your rip has with others in the AR database. So even a match of 1 is incredible evidence that your rip is bitperfect (unless that 1 match is the one you previously submitted yourself). Think of it this way, even a match of "1" means that your rip is bitperfect to someone else's rip, using a different copy of the CD, different computer, different drive.....and yet they match. Higher AR match numbers are generally just related to how popular a CD is, as more popular CDs will have more rips reported back to AR. I recall that it quits counting after 200. Also note that you have different AR nubers because some are using v1 and some v2, and you're also being told how many you match with different offsets.

Short answer, you have bitperfect rips. My advice is always to use ultrasecure, as this is the best of both worlds: it does a fast burst rip, and if that matches AR, you're done. If there is no match, then it will do multiple rips and compare in order to report a secure rip (the best alternative to getting an AR match).

Hi GaryM -

Thanks for responding. The log I shared is for the successful rip I did with "Enable Ultra Secure Ripping" [COLOR="*B22222"]not[/COLOR] selected.
    If I enable UltraSecure, then every track shows as ERROR in the main window under the Rip Status column.
    It appears that C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection also needs to be disabled (or I receive errors)
    I just discovered that if "Enable Ultra Secure Ripping" is active but "C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection" is NOT active, it will result in a successful("accurate")rip.

Below is the Log for a failed rip which shows as ERROR in the Rip Status column in the main app window.
    I've also attached three screenshots of my current configuration.
    Again, if I uncheck (turn off) UltraSecure, then I do not get the ERROR(s)
    (I'm still unclear on what UltraSecure is doing and the advantages of having it activated

If anyone has any advice on my setting, I would greatly appreciate your input.

----------------
    dBpoweramp Release 17.1 Digital Audio Extraction Log from 2020-07-19 12:43:48
    OS version: Version 10.15.5 (Build 19F101)

Drive & Settings
    ----------------

Ripping with drive 'disk7 [MATSHITA - DVD-R UJ-8A8]', Drive offset: 102, Overread Lead-in/out: No
    AccurateRip: Active, Using C2: Yes, Cache: 1024 KB, FUA Cache Invalidate: No
    Pass 1 Drive Speed: Max, Pass 2 Drive Speed: Max
    Ultra:: Vary Drive Speed: No, Min Passes: 1, Max Passes: 2, Finish After Clean Passes: 1
    Bad Sector Re-rip:: Drive Speed: Max, Maximum Re-reads: 34

Encoder: AIFF
    DSP Effects / Actions: -dspeffect1="ReplayGain= -albummode={qt}0{qt} -itunnorm={qt}0{qt} -r128lufs={qt}-18{qt}"

Extraction Log
    --------------

Track 1: Ripped LBA 0 to 20145 (4:28) in 1:41. Filename: /Users/kenheyman/Music/dbPoweramp Rips/Gregg Allman/Laid Back/01 Gregg Allman - Midnight Rider.aiff
    Insecure [Pass 1, Ultra 1 to 1, Re-Rip 9238 Frames]
    Insecure [Pass 1, Ultra 1 to 1, Re-Rip 9238 Frames]
    ** Aborted: Have to ReRip 9238 Frames, Re-Rip Limit Set to 100 Frames

--------------

1 Tracks Ripped Inaccurately

Here's some screenshots of my configuration:
    Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 12.43.06 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 12.37.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 12.32.50 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Bambooken; 07-19-2020 at 04:30 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Try ultra secure WITHOUT use C2 selected. Even for drives that are supposed to use C2 error checking, it often is not implemented correctly. I see this on several of my drives, so do NOT select use C2.

That seems to be the ticket!
    Thanks much!

Everything seemed to be working just fine until this recent CD rip. I understand that when I see the pink disk and the word Accurate, the rip is confirmed (by Accurip). However, some of the tracks show, in red text: AR(200 yet they also show a green checkmark and the word "Secure". What does this mean? The tracks seem to play fine. What's gone wrong (if anything)?
    See attached screenshot.
    Thanks in advance
    Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 2.15.57 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Bambooken; 07-28-2020 at 06:39 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

it means they ripped "securely" (the multiple dbpa passes during ripping all produced matching CRCs), but they did *not* match the AccurateRip database CRCs.

Gary -
    So basically I can feel comfortable that the rips are good but Accurip did not have any references to check it with.
    Is this something that is explained anywhere that I missed?
    Thank you for responding so quickly

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bambooken View Post
    Gary -
    So basically I can feel comfortable that the rips are good but Accurip did not have any references to check it with.
    Is this something that is explained anywhere that I missed?
    Thank you for responding so quickly
    First, it is a bit odd because typically getting secure but NOT a match happens to all tracks on a CD. But in your case it is only some. But I can say that this happens to me occasionally (it happened yesterday in fact).

Second, you might try to rip the CD with a different drive. Sometimes that makes a big difference.

Third, this seems to be the Abbey Road Anniversary release. I've seen lots of discussion on the internet regarding how hard that set seems to be to rip and receive AccurateRip results. So perhaps you situation is not that unusual for that CD.

Fourth, if it was me, I'd listen to the tracks and make sure I heard no glitches. You probably won't (given secure listing). And if I heard nothing, I'd move on and enjoy the music. Most of my 5000 CD rips are AccurateRip verified, but probably 10% are not and/or have some odd ball results like yours. But audibly they are good.