title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Best default settings for SACD

Best default settings for SACD

Hello all,

My first post here. I just purchased dBconverter yesterday and would like to get the proper bitrate and KHz correct for each SACD iso I process.

I use ISO2DSD to produce .dff files with the settings Channel = Multi, Output Mode = Phillips DSDIFF and Convert DST to DSD checked. I then use Music converter to produce FLAC files. What I haven't been able to find is how to have the Bitrate and KHz that is available on the iso to be maintained in the FLAC files that are rendered. I don't want to generate 96KHz FLAC if 192KHZ was available.

For example, looking at a dff produced by ISO2DSD, this particular one is DSD64 2.8224 MHz, 1 Bit, 5644 kbps. After being converted to FLAC with Music Converter, that file is 24Bit 96KHz 4808 kbps I don't know if anything was lost in this conversion.

As there's no benefit to selecting a higher Bit/KHz than was on the original, I don't want to set a default that is too high or too low, but I haven't yet found an option to deal with this.

Any suggestions on how I can accomplish this are appreciated.
    Last edited by KA1J; 07-14-2020 at 05:29 PM.

Administrator

Re: Best default settings for SACD

Converting DSD to PCM creates lots of high frequency noise, the 96KHz option is ideal because it filters everything above 48KHz which is needed, you cannot have these high powered ultrasonic sounds playing through your speakers.

Or to put another way, if you wrote 192KHz files you would still have to filter everything above 48KHz

Hi Spoon, thanks for the reply.

With my McIntosh C2700 Pre with its new DAC, tube monoblocks, & Sonus Faber V speakers, the equipment will reproduce well what is present. I want my efforts to get the best possible sound quality possible.

Am I going about the conversion from SACD iso to FLAC poorly? Is there a better sequence for me to achieve this than I described in my post above? If so, what would be better?

& thanks.

Administrator

When you play a SACD the player will have a physical filter that SONY mandate that filters all this high frequency, look:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

"All SACD players employ an optional low-pass filter set at 50 kHz for compatibility and safety reasons, suitable for situations where amplifiers or loudspeakers cannot deliver an undistorted output if noise above 50 kHz is present in the signal."

48KHz or 50KHz is as good as you can get out of SACD.