title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD Ripper Options Question

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

CD Ripper Options Question

I have a question about the CD Ripper options. My question has to do with whether or not those ripper options impact the audio quality of my music files when they are ripped from my CDs. I am aware that audio quality for music files is impacted by the format type selected like MP3 vs FLAC and to some degree ReplayGain. My understanding is that to some degree the type of hardware in my computer (Asus vs LG) and the type of ripping software (dBpoweramp vs Media Monkey vs Windows Media Player) could impact the sound quality of my files if I were to rip my songs in the same format like MP3 or FLAC (You can correct me if I am mistaken). In the past when my understanding of CD ripping accuracy was less, I either used the standard rip setting or later the secure rip setting (with its settings left at default). I am trying to get the cleanest rips possible in FLAC for my CD collection. With dbPoweramp, this is the first time that I have ever altered the CD ripper options (using the recommended settings without the C2 Pointer from the online dBpoweramp instruction manual). My understanding is that these CD Ripper options are designed to help me get the cleanest rip possible and get around as best as possible CD issues such as scratches and manufacturing defects. My question is if I had two computers with identical hardware in perfect condition, all of my CDs are in perfect condition without scratches or defects, and both used the same software such as dbPoweramp with identical audio rip settings such as FLAC, but one computer had the Secure Rip options left at default while the other computer had the Secure Rip options with the recommended settings without C2 pointers, would I notice a difference in sound quality in the audio files or would the Secure Rip options impact sound quality in any way?

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD Ripper Options Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bespin1138 View Post
    My question is if I had two computers with identical hardware in perfect condition, all of my CDs are in perfect condition without scratches or defects, and both used the same software such as dbPoweramp with identical audio rip settings such as FLAC, but one computer had the Secure Rip options left at default while the other computer had the Secure Rip options with the recommended settings without C2 pointers, would I notice a difference in sound quality in the audio files or would the Secure Rip options impact sound quality in any way?
    No, there is no difference in the sound quality as long as you have accurate rips. The process of ripping music is nothing more and nothing less than a digital read-out of data. The difference between the different ripping programs is the way they detect and handle errors during the read-out. Some programs like WMP or iTunes just don't care, so you can't judge if there at the end of the rip if therer has been problems or not. This can result in audio files that skip or have other problems. dBpa uses accurate rip, which is a method to calculate checksums for audio files, stores them in a database in the internet and compares those checksums if that track will be ripped the next time. If the checksums are identical, this is an indicator that the rip is error-free.

The use of C2 pointer method is a method to detect and handle read errors reported by the drive itself. Unfortunately often the implementation of the C2 pointer method in disk drives is buggy, so you better switch that option in dBpa off. C2 pointers can help, but this method is not necessarily needed to achive accurate rips.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: CD Ripper Options Question

Thanks for the assistance.