title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Replygain (apply): can’t increase gain?

Replygain (apply): can’t increase gain?

Hello,

I have many 96khz 24-bit HiRes files that play at too low volume and I just purchased both dbpoweramp (and perfect tunes) for the express purpose of increasing their volume.

Earlier posts on this thread led me to believe that I could use Replygain (apply) to increase the gain on files so that their volume would increase - even on players that don’t recognize Replaygain tags.

That does not appear to be the case, inasmuch as even with the sliders pushed all the way to the right (to 0db) the re-encoded files play back at the original low volume.

Am I missing something? Did I waste my money?

Thanks,

Want

Administrator

Re: Replygain (apply): can’t increase gain?

To use replaygain apply, you files would have to already have replaygain tags, and you have to encode to an actual format, not a utility codec.

dBpoweramp Guru

use the ReplayGain DSP and add RG tags to the files, then convert, FLAC to FLAC or WAV to WAV, or whatever they are, using the ReplayGain(apply) DSP as part of that conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    use the ReplayGain DSP and add RG tags to the files, then convert, FLAC to FLAC or WAV to WAV, or whatever they are, using the ReplayGain(apply) DSP as part of that conversion.
    Ok, Thank you! I converted from FLAC to FLAC using ReplayGain to add RG tags, then converted again using ReplayGain(apply, and the volume is higher.

Still wondering, though, if there is any way to avoid two serial conversions....
    I noticed mention of a new feature for dealing with very quiet recordings in the latest beta rleease.

Thanks again, Want

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wantwit View Post
    Ok, Thank you! I converted from FLAC to FLAC using ReplayGain to add RG tags, then converted again using ReplayGain(apply, and the volume is higher.

Still wondering, though, if there is any way to avoid two serial conversions....
    I noticed mention of a new feature for dealing with very quiet recordings in the latest beta rleease.

Thanks again, Want
    I think there is a "Volume Normalize" DSP that can do the combined step of adding RG tags and applying it to the audio. But I've never used it, so not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I think there is a "Volume Normalize" DSP that can do the combined step of adding RG tags and applying it to the audio. But I've never used it, so not sure.
    Thanks. “Volume Normalize” does it in one step.

Best, Want