title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Compilations Option Questions

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    13

    Compilations Option Questions

    I am in the process of re-ripping my audio CD collection. I have researched the compilation option. Based on what I have read, my understanding is that I should use the compilation option for albums that have multiple artists. My understanding is that I would use the compilation settings for albums with multiple artists like film soundtracks such as Top Gun, Hackers, and Armageddon. I am currently re-ripping my film score CD collection. I am under the impression that I should leave the compilation option off if the film score CD has only one artist or most of the tracks are from one artist. My intention, unless you guys suggest otherwise, is to use the compilation setting for my film soundtrack CDs. I generally listen and search for my songs by album or playlist on both my computer and MP3 player. My questions are, if I selected the compilation option for a film score or other album which has only one artist or whose tracks are mostly from one artist and a couple of tracks from another one or two artists, would it in anyway or form impact the playback, track listing, or audio output? Should I use the compilation setting for my film soundtracks that have multiple artists?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,705

    Re: Compilations Option Questions

    there is no "correct" answer here, as different people prefer different approaches. In my own case, I'd be ticking COMPILATION for anything like a Soundtrack album, or a "best of the 1970s" album, etc. Anything with multiple artists. But if I have an album that is mostly one artist, but has a couple of tracks with guest artists, I'd NOT tick the compilation option. But I'd be sure to add ALBUM ARTIST for that CD, listing the main artist for the CD. Some of what I do is a function of my server/player. If it sees an album with tracks from more than one artist, it ASSUMES this is a compilation (which I may not want). But if I have ALBUM ARTIST set for a single artist, it does not think that is a compilation.

    Bottom line, it's not a huge deal, as the Compilation tag is simply a metadata tag. You can batch remove this from one or more albums after the fact without re-ripping.

  3. #3
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    650

    Re: Compilations Option Questions

    Agree with Gary that there is no one right way of doing this.

    As my wife has a vast amount of comps, I actually use Album Artist OST for Soundtracks, so displays all Soundtracks together. It works for me!

  4. #4
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,705

    Re: Compilations Option Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Agree with Gary that there is no one right way of doing this.

    As my wife has a vast amount of comps, I actually use Album Artist OST for Soundtracks, so displays all Soundtracks together. It works for me!

    Yeah, there are some folks that don't use the compilation tag at all. But they are very careful with the ALBUM ARTIST tag. They use things like OST for soundtracks (as Oggy mentions). And they use "Various Artists" for things that have multiple ARTISTS (e.g., Super HIts of the 70s album). Then for single ARTIST albums, they make sure that ALBUM ARTIST is the same as ARTIST.

  5. #5
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    101

    Re: Compilations Option Questions

    I do as garym except that I tag ALBUM ARTIST on all my albums. There is no de facto standard here, and there are simplistic or just crap players out there which don't support much. But I think there is a "loose standard", and in my experience the following practice often works, or at least doesn't harm anything:

    1) Set the COMPILATION tag on albums with multiple artists (unless the album has one main artist with guest artists).
    2) Set ALBUM ARTIST on all albums, e.g. "Bob Dylan" or "Various Artists" or "Compilation" or "Soundtrack".

    The above should work in any server. With portable or car players, it's a hit or miss since some players don't even read these tags. Also be aware that some players support ALBUM ARTIST while other players prefer ALBUMARTIST.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bespin1138 View Post
    My intention, unless you guys suggest otherwise, is to use the compilation setting for my film soundtrack CDs.
    In my opinion, only use the compilation tag if there are multiple artists. A soundtrack isn't automatically a compilation. One example is the soundtrack to Local Hero which for me isn't a compilation but an album by Mark Knopfler with Gerry Rafferty as a guest artist on one of the tracks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bespin1138 View Post
    if I selected the compilation option for a film score or other album which has only one artist or whose tracks are mostly from one artist and a couple of tracks from another one or two artists, would it in anyway or form impact the playback, track listing, or audio output?
    I don't see how it could affect the playback or the audio output. But the album would be incorrectly sorted under Compilations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bespin1138 View Post
    Should I use the compilation setting for my film soundtracks that have multiple artists?
    Yes, unless you think there is one main artist and the rest is merely guest artists.


    As you can see, personally I don't like your idea of tagging all soundtracks with the compilation tag. But hey, it's YOUR library so do what fits your purpose.
    As a sidenote, there is also the GENRE tag. To help you find the soundtracks - compilations and non-compilations - you could tag them GENRE=Soundtrack. IMO this is much better than to mis-use the compilation tag.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    13

    Re: Compilations Option Questions

    Thanks guys for all of your answers to my questions. On Vilsen's comment regarding the use of genre tags, I am currently sorting my film score albums under the soundtrack genre tag. On Garym's answer about compilations, two more questions came up. First, If I activate the compilation tag on the ripper before I rip my CD, would a folder titled "Compilation" or "Compilations" appear in the destination folder where my ripped songs are stored? Second, would I use the Batch Converter to remove compilation tags on both single albums and multiple albums? If so, how do I perform that process? Can the same process also add compilation tags?

    Thanks again.

  7. #7
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,705

    Re: Compilations Option Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Bespin1138 View Post
    Thanks guys for all of your answers to my questions. On Vilsen's comment regarding the use of genre tags, I am currently sorting my film score albums under the soundtrack genre tag. On Garym's answer about compilations, two more questions came up. First, If I activate the compilation tag on the ripper before I rip my CD, would a folder titled "Compilation" or "Compilations" appear in the destination folder where my ripped songs are stored? Second, would I use the Batch Converter to remove compilation tags on both single albums and multiple albums? If so, how do I perform that process? Can the same process also add compilation tags?

    Thanks again.
    how files are organized (folders) and named is a function of the dynamic naming string you use. For example, I use this (which deals automatically with compilations, albums with or without album artist, and multi disk sets). Compilations get put in an upper level folder called "Compilations" and named with album name, but with each track also including the track artist name.

    [MAXLENGTH]240,[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]

    note, this is windows. if Mac, the backslashes should be changed to forward slashes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •