title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another DSF issue

Another DSF issue

Licensed Asset user (so THAT's not the issue!)

Trying to send DSF files via Ethernet to my renderer (in this case, a recent model Sony Blu-Ray player).

Asset refuses to do anything but transcode to WAV. If I set DSF on the server to "as is single" the files are not offered at all.

Here's the rub: Serviio (which is not an ideal product for audio by ANY means) does this perfectly. Same network, same files, same renderer. The Sony immediately identifies the files as being DSD. Handles both stereo and multichannel DSF files like a champ.

So. Asset SHOULD be able to do at least the stereo files, no?

EDIT: weird thing is -- Asset DOES send the files as it should to other devices, i.e. the USB Audio Player Pro app on my iBasso DX-160 so clearly it's something not handshaking properly with the Sony unless I miss my guess...

A little help here, gang?
    Last edited by ghosthost; 07-12-2020 at 01:18 PM. Reason: additional info

Administrator

Re: Another DSF issue

You need to set DSD to &*8216;as is&*8217;, you should have extra options on the drop list for DSD such as as dop

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You need to set DSD to &*8216;as is&*8217;, you should have extra options on the drop list for DSD such as as dop

No, no. DSD and for that matter ALL formats are set to "as is". The problem is specific to the renderer. Something in the basic vanilla settings for Asset is forcing WAV to the Sony despite its ability to play DSF natively.

Administrator

Once you change setting to as single, you would have to restart asset and re add the tracks to the Sony.

When I changed to As Is single, the Sony stopped seeing the tracks AT ALL.

Administrator

The tracks are presented as the mime type audio/x-dsf

If it cannot see them then it means it is not compatible with that format.

Ah, but as I've said already... throw the same files at the Sony via the Serviio DLNA server and they work perfectly, as expected. So that's not true either.

Administrator

You would have to capture a network debug log from servio if it allows, audio/x-dsf is 100% correct for dsf streaming, if you enable the debug log in Asset and browse to the location of your files, then look at the log, post the last 100 lines of the log here please to verify what is being presented.

Will work some more on this today and try to assemble as much documentation as possible and will report back. Thanks for your assistance.

Have done some more testing. Results are not encouraging: Serviio's "DEBUG" log offers utterly no valuable input other than it uses a generic render profile for the player rather than any of its preinstalled templates. The Sony BD Player requests the DSF file, Serviio feeds it happily. The Sony plays back an untouched DSF file with no transcoding.

Whatever Serviio does to (ahem) Serve the files is clearly NOT what Asset is doing... When Asset is set to AS IS, the file is transcoded to WAVE. Nice, high bitrate mind you, but still transcoded nonetheless. When set to AS IS SINGLE, DSF files are simply NOT RECOGNIZED by the Sony which reports no playable files in the folder. Again, I must stress: this is unique to the Sony Blu-Ray player. USB Audio Player Pro running on my iBasso DX-160 picks up the DSF files with no difficulty. Amusingly, the app's interaction with Serviio is not nearly so straightforward: it shows a stream as "Direct: 352.8 kHz." Not to muddy the water.

I don't see anything in Asset's log (let alone Serviio's somewhat terse one) that would account for this behavior other than Asset and Sony's implementation of DLNA simply do not get along well... Asset shows it the audio/x-dsf MIME type and the Sony pretty much says "**** you, what else ya got."

@Spoon: unless you (or anyone else reading this) have any brilliant ideas as to why this should be, I'm guessing I'm shit outta luck on this...

Steve

Administrator

If you open the location of Assets debug log there will be a file there called 'AssetUPnPDefinedAudioTypesv5.txt'

browse to the .dsf line and try changing:

.dsf
    http-get:*:audio/x-dsf:DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=03 700000000000000000000000000000
    audio/x-dsf

to:

.dsf
    http-get:*:audio/dsf:DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=03 700000000000000000000000000000
    audio/dsf

The combinations you want to try are: audio/dsf audio/x-dsd audio/x-dsd audio/x-dff audio/x-dsd

Are you certain the serviio is not transcoding? if you look:

https://gist.github.com/ergoz/256c73...668457adec17a6

There are a whole bunch of auto profiles for the sony which transcode to mp3 or lpcm if a sony device string matches (for dsf).

Sorry for the delay; was called away with pressing work issues... Am looking into the changes now. I can absolutely confirm though that Serviio is not transcoding... the player's onscreen display is enough to confirm that. Will report back ASAP.

Some further clarification: serviio's log shows that the Sony device in question is using serviio's Generic DLNA Profile; no transcoding going on.

I think the telling point re: Serviio's behavior vs Asset's can be seen by simply browsing the servers through the player's interface. For the exact same files, Serviio presents .DSF files as "DSD" onscreen. Asset presents them as "WAV" unless Asset is forced to "as is single" for the DSF filetype in which case the player simply reports no playable files in the container. All this cool information without even attempting to play a file. When one DOES play a file, it's clear from the unit's onscreen display that Asset is as expected from the WAV notation transcoding to 192/24 whereas Serviio? Boom. DSD128 1-bit native.

EDITED: Success. The combo that worked was audio/dsd Many thanks for the assistance
    Last edited by ghosthost; 07-23-2020 at 01:14 PM.

@Spoon:

Where would I make this change in the RPi version?

Administrator

r7 goes to test in the next few days, with this change already made.