title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: PC sound capture intermittent and distorted

PC sound capture intermittent and distorted

I have just installed Asset UPnP on a Windows 10 PC and am attempting to run the PC sound capture to my Linn DS. The sound is intermittent and distorted; also, the speed of the content appears to be altered (the Chipmunks come to mind!). Both the PC and the Linn DS are wired to the same router, and all other features are working correctly. What am I missing?

Administrator

Re: PC sound capture intermittent and distorted

What sound are you capturing? (which program and which settings)?

Hmm. Not sure that I understand your question - perhaps I am unclear about the PC sound capture capabilities. Essentially, I am trying to stream my computer's sound over the network to my Linn DS, much as I did with Linn's Songcast app. So, for example, if I have an interview being played on the computer, I might want to have the audio play through the Linn DS which is located in another room. My assumption about the PC sound capture is that it could essentially redirect the output of my computer's sound card to the Linn streamer, irrespective of what program might be used to play the audio on the computer itself. Have I misunderstood the PC sound capture's intended usage?

Administrator

Some programs open the sound card at a very low level and that would prevent streaming. If you play something using a Web browser, this would be a good test, try streaming that.

Also the settings for streaming, did you change them?

I tried playing a YouTube video through the browser, but experienced the same problems. Also, I tried playing some mp3 and FLAC files through the Groove Music app; unfortunately, the sound was still intermittent and distorted. I have not changed the settings for streaming -- are there changes you would suggest?

Administrator

Try running the configuration program and in Audio format streaming, set WASAPI to 'as mp3' then try.

I set WASAPI to "as mp3" as suggested, but this initially appeared to make no difference. I then installed Asset UPnP on another computer (a laptop from the same manufacturer as the desktop I am using, both running WIN10 Pro and both using a Realtek audio controller). From the desktop through my control point app (Linn Kazoo), I could then choose PC sound capture for the laptop's sound card and have it play through the Linn DS. The streaming was not intermittent (success!), but the sound was somewhat distorted with excessive sibilance and was quite low in volume compared to other sources. I could not, however, choose PC sound capture from the same control point app running on the laptop - it could only "see" the instance of Asset UPnP running on the desktop. Are there other settings I can play with to get this working, preferably from both computers?

Administrator

Sometimes if you leave the control point, it will show the server after 10 or so minutes, it is down to the UPnP broadcast not fully working correctly for the network (or being buggy).