title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Asus BW-16D1HT slow

Asus BW-16D1HT slow

Hello everybody

Does anyone have experience with the Asus BW-16D1HT (Blu-ray writer) drive? I have a new computer with 2 such drives. Although the maximum is set everywhere, the reading speed starts very low and in the best case reaches 20x in the end.
    My 8 year old Plextor drive is much faster ....

I updated the firmware to 3.10

Many greetings
    Armin

Deutsch:

Hallo zusammen

Hat jemand mit dem Laufwerk Asus BW-16D1HT (Blu-ray writer) erfahrung? Ich habe einen neuen Rechner mit 2 solchen Laufwerken. Obwohl überall maximal eingestellt ist, startet die Lesegeschwindigkeit sehr tief und erreicht im besten Fall gegen Ende 20x.
    Mein 8 Jahr altes Plextor Laufwerk ist viel schneller....

Firmware Update habe ich gemacht auf 3.10

Viele Grüsse
    Armin

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT slow

Administrator

Old drives had a thicker lazer for reading the CD tracks, when DVD came out the lazer became thinner, and when BluRay the lazer became thinner again. It could be that old drives are better at reading CDs.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

@Helvetia - I have one of these drives. I primarily use it for UHD-Video ripping but it also has excellent standard CD read speeds (x48).

Full read specs below from ASUS. Maybe worth checking you have no RAM or Storage bottlenecks.

Read Speed
    BD-R : 12X
    BD-R(SL, M-DISC) : 12X
    BD-RE : 8X
    BD-ROM : 8X
    BD-R(DL) : 8X
    BD-RE(DL) : 6X
    BD-ROM(DL) : 8X
    BD-R(TL/QL) : 6X
    BD-RE(TL) : 4X
    DVD+R : 16X
    DVD-R : 16X
    DVD+RW : 12X
    DVD-RW : 12X
    DVD-ROM : 16X
    DVD+R(DL) : 12X
    DVD+R(SL, M-DISC) : 12X
    DVD-R(DL) : 12X
    DVD-ROM(DL) : 12X
    DVD-RAM : 5X
    CD-R : 48X
    CD-RW : 40X
    CD-ROM : 48X

469/5000
    Thank you for your message. I have found that these drives react very strongly to the inserted medium. There are CDs that are read at maximum speed and some that only allow a fraction. My PC has two identical drives and both react the same way. So one cannot be defective.

It can't be the computer. It is a new system with Intel I9-10900K, Gigabyte Z490 Aorus xtreme, 32 GB Ram.

Many greetings

dBpoweramp Guru

It is the drive, which decides on the speed itself. In dependency of the CD's surface (reflection, dirt, scratches, errors etc. pp.) the drive limits the speed.

Dat Ei