title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: dBpa Converter forcing FLAC level 5

dBpa Converter forcing FLAC level 5

Hello,
    I am trying to change some 24/192 FLAC files from Level 5 to Level 2 compression (FLAC5 -> Wave -> FLAC2 as I'm cautious), but when I convert the Wave files I get the same compression percentage as I did with Level 5. It appeared to work as required the first time I did this but now, with different files of course, seems to insist on using the default level. Has anyone experienced this, and/or got any idea what may be happening or what I am doing wrong.

dBpa V17 - 64 bit on Windows 10.

Re: dBpa Converter forcing FLAC level 5

A few more thoughts about an hour later.

The files that I first converted, and saw a reduction from approximately 50% compression to approx. 37%, were solo piano music; the files that seem unaffected by the compression level are Symphonic works (Bruckner 7th and Beethoven 5th). The latter seem to give a compression of about 50% no matter whether the FLAC level is 0 or 8. There is a slight reduction in filesize between those extremes of 242 to 238MB, and the dBpa Explorer pop-up gives the compression level as 49% and 50%; this is not really the difference that I was expecting.

I had begun to wonder if this what one would expect on complex music, but I had reduced the compression level of a Linn Mahler 2nd recording a couple of years ago and level 2 gave a file compression of 37%, so no, it isn't; or, perhaps, wasn't.

Running the conversions with Debug turned on a couple of times confirmed that dBpa was using the requested Level number. But the difference between compression levels 5 and 2 is, at most, about 4MB in approx. 240MB (Compressions of 49 or 50%).

One last thing: specifying uncompressed gives a file size of 474MB - so that definitely works.

As I asked above can anyone shed some light on this, and specifically advise me how to reduce the compression without having to remove it altogether?

Administrator

Possibly, the different type of music might not fit well into flacs predictor which gives the compression.

dBpoweramp Guru

I am trying to change some 24/192 FLAC files from Level 5 to Level 2 compression (FLAC5 -> Wave -> FLAC2 as I'm cautious), but when I convert the Wave files I get the same compression percentage as I did with Level 5. It appeared to work as required the first time I did this but now, with different files of course, seems to insist on using the default level. Has anyone experienced this, and/or got any idea what may be happening or what I am doing wrong.
    Why do you want to change the compression level? FLAC is a lossless encoding, like Zip. No matter what level of compression you use, the playback is identical, the same as if it was a WAV file.

Thanks for the reply Spoon. I am looking back at other files encoded using previous versions of dBpa. The more lightly compressed Linn Mahler 2nd that I mentioned above was encoded by 'LibFLAC 1.2.1 20070917' (must have been more than just 'a couple of years ago'), the ones I created today are encoded by 'libFLAC 1.3.3 20190804'. I just have the feeling that something is different there - of course I may be way off course.

Thanks for your reply too schmidj. I am aware of what you are saying and understand it, but nonetheless it is very important to me to lower the compression.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb View Post
    I am looking back at other files encoded using previous versions of dBpa. The more lightly compressed Linn Mahler 2nd that I mentioned above was encoded by 'LibFLAC 1.2.1 20070917' (must have been more than just 'a couple of years ago'), the ones I created today are encoded by 'libFLAC 1.3.3 20190804'. I just have the feeling that something is different there - of course I may be way off course.
    If you go to the flac website, you can take a look at the differences between flac library versions.