title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch converter - variable resolution for Sonos S2

Batch converter - variable resolution for Sonos S2

This post is prompted by the new Sonos S2 version's ability to play 24 bit files (and a certain amount of laziness on my part). I have a relatively large music collection (around 60,000 tracks), about half of it various levels of higher than CD resolution. I have a Sonos system in my office, for which I down-convert the high resolution files. This is no doubt nit-picking, but I assume that when down-converting, it would be better to use the appropriate whole number sub-frequency - i.e. 192 and 96 down to 48, 176.4 and 88.2 to 44.1. Has anybody tested this, and/or configured dbPower Batch converter to do this automatically?

Administrator

Re: Batch converter - variable resolution for Sonos S2

It does not help our frequency converter, the way it works is the frequency is effectively oversampled to a very high frequency where it is then reduced, so it makes no difference if go down in half or any other.

Thanks Spoon - good to know. Will certainly make batch converting much easier if I don't have to worry about that. What about the difference between 24 bit and 16 bit?

GT

Administrator

Bit depth is preserved when converting, unless you specifically force a certain depth.