title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Large File Numbers Prove Challenging to Convert in Bulk

Large File Numbers Prove Challenging to Convert in Bulk

I am disappointed in the performance of the Bulk Converter. I am attempting to convert a folder of FLAC files to AAC. The size of the FLAC folder is 400GB; I cannot easily tell how many files are involved.

In summary, nothing happens, even when left overnight. I just get a "one moment please" message.

Here are my hardware specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1
    Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 6
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 12 MB
    Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
    Memory: 64 GB
    Boot ROM Version: 1037.120.87.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.15300.0.0,0)
    Serial Number (system): C02CHF2SMD6R
    Hardware UUID: A9E13B5B-72F5-5B37-B497-6996E959B5D9
    Activation Lock Status: Enabled

The files are located on a networked NUC running Roon's ROCK system.

If the batches must be "small", please give me an estimate of size. However, I had hoped to select the FLAC folder, set it and forget it overnight. I hope there is a solution somewhere. Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Large File Numbers Prove Challenging to Convert in Bulk

Hmm, I've converted 50,000 or more files before in a single batch, so something else is going on. I suspect something related to the file access across the network between the MacBook and the NUC where the files are located. (In my own case, the files being converted were on a USB drive attached directly to the computer running dbpa; network transfer not involved.)

Administrator

The issue is depending on namings used, the ID Tags have to be read from all files before conversion can take place that is the please wait message.

Reading files over a network is slow, it could be 100x slower than having the files on the local SSD.

dBpoweramp Guru

I can't recall exactly, but it seems like starting the conversion using TEST CONVERSION only from about 113,000 files (stored on directly attached drive) took quite a long time before the conversion started. Could have been an hour? So yes, likely the slowness of network. I know doing some conversions from files on my gigabit, all ethernet connected NAS on my network, takes much, much longer than doing it from attached drive. In fact, if I have more than a few dozen conversions to do, I always do them starting from an attached USB drive rather than my networked drive with the same music.