title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD-De-emphasis in R17 on Mac

CD-De-emphasis in R17 on Mac

Hi,

Thank you for adding the cd-demphasis feature.

Does the pop up screen (photo attached) mean that de-emphasis will happen automatically without adding the DSP effect? It doesn't seem to be working automatically, right now.

I ripped a disc that needs de-emphasis (and plays back properly on a CD player), but de-emphasis was only added when the DSP effect was added. It wasn't auto-added as the pop up suggests.

Just to confirm, I ripped a disc that did NOT need de-emphasis and de-emphasis was added with the DSP effect added.

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Administrator

Re: CD-De-emphasis in R17 on Mac

You should not add the DSP effect in CD Ripper, if it is needed then CD ripper self adds.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You should not add the DSP effect in CD Ripper, if it is needed then CD ripper self adds.
    I can confirm that it does NOT self add to ripped files on MAC. I tried 3 discs that require emphasis and CD Ripper did not apply emphasis to any of them.

Is it related to the MAC version being unable to detect pre-emphasis in the "track technical" column?
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...OS-X-CD-Ripper

I also just read there's a fix in the beta of 17.1 in a different thread:
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-R17-1-for-Mac

Further testing of the latest R17 beta indicates that CD Ripper is auto detecting and applying de-emphasis to compact discs with pre-emphasis in the TOC but not for discs with pre-emphasis in the subcode.
    CD Ripper's "track technical" column reads "pre-emphasis" for those particular discs.

Playing compact discs with pre-emphasis in either TOC or subcode in a CD player still play back properly, in both cases.
    Does software detection of pre-emphasis in both TOC and subcode pose a particular challenge that CD players are able to overcome but software cannot?

Administrator

There are a few discs which were incorrectly created without De-emphasis highlighted in the toc, for those discs you can manually add the effect.

Question Re: CD-De-emphasis in R17 on Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    There are a few discs which were incorrectly created without De-emphasis highlighted in the toc, for those discs you can manually add the effect.
    So, I guess this means that dBpoweramp only uses the TOC to detect pre-emphasis, and doesn't check the Q Channel bit for pre-emphasis on either Mac or Windows?

Administrator

It was not worth while putting it in, there were only 2 cds in existence as far as I know that had a channel and no toc, they were mastered incorrectly.