title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD-De-emphasis in R17 on Mac

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rnrmf
    • Mar 2018

CD-De-emphasis in R17 on Mac

Hi,

Thank you for adding the cd-demphasis feature.

Does the pop up screen (photo attached) mean that de-emphasis will happen automatically without adding the DSP effect? It doesn't seem to be working automatically, right now.

I ripped a disc that needs de-emphasis (and plays back properly on a CD player), but de-emphasis was only added when the DSP effect was added. It wasn't auto-added as the pop up suggests.

Just to confirm, I ripped a disc that did NOT need de-emphasis and de-emphasis was added with the DSP effect added.

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

• Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: CD-De-emphasis in R17 on Mac

You should not add the DSP effect in CD Ripper, if it is needed then CD ripper self adds.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rnrmf
      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Spoon
      You should not add the DSP effect in CD Ripper, if it is needed then CD ripper self adds.
      I can confirm that it does NOT self add to ripped files on MAC. I tried 3 discs that require emphasis and CD Ripper did not apply emphasis to any of them.

Is it related to the MAC version being unable to detect pre-emphasis in the "track technical" column?
      I added a "Track Technical" column in CD Ripper with the expectation that tracks with pre-emphasis would be noted (I read hdcd would be identified, too). I ripped 3 known discs with pre-emphasis and no such notation was made. Is this feature not yet supported on Mac? I'm running dB 16.6 and Mac OS X 10.15.1.

Comment

• rnrmf
        • Mar 2018

I also just read there's a fix in the beta of 17.1 in a different thread:
        Current version: beta 15 https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/DMC-R171b15.dmg Changes since R17: Fixed launcher window not working correctly on Mac OS Yosemite. CD Ripper: Fixed de-emphasis not being correctly activated on CDs with pre-emphasis. CD Ripper: Added de-emphasis toggle. CD Ripper: More readable output codec list (re

Comment

• rnrmf
          • Mar 2018

Further testing of the latest R17 beta indicates that CD Ripper is auto detecting and applying de-emphasis to compact discs with pre-emphasis in the TOC but not for discs with pre-emphasis in the subcode.
          CD Ripper's "track technical" column reads "pre-emphasis" for those particular discs.

Playing compact discs with pre-emphasis in either TOC or subcode in a CD player still play back properly, in both cases.
          Does software detection of pre-emphasis in both TOC and subcode pose a particular challenge that CD players are able to overcome but software cannot?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

There are a few discs which were incorrectly created without De-emphasis highlighted in the toc, for those discs you can manually add the effect.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LazLong
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
              There are a few discs which were incorrectly created without De-emphasis highlighted in the toc, for those discs you can manually add the effect.
              So, I guess this means that dBpoweramp only uses the TOC to detect pre-emphasis, and doesn't check the Q Channel bit for pre-emphasis on either Mac or Windows?

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

It was not worth while putting it in, there were only 2 cds in existence as far as I know that had a channel and no toc, they were mastered incorrectly.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>