title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

My eyes are bleeding

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rodney
    • Apr 2004

My eyes are bleeding

I need some guidance here on Patrick Norton's advice on the screen savers I downloaded power amp with the hopes of being able to edit my vinyl. I can already rip with music match and Microsoft plus digital media edition but cannot edit. I don't want anything fancy just something I can cut my tracks into. I have about 100 to 150 albums to do. I'd be willing to pay to do this but not the exorbitant amount of money most software writers want for this privilege.[Gold wave is in the running]Oh the reason my post is titled my eyes are bleeding is from all the reading on this topic.

Okay here's the question if after I find the optional auxiliary input install[where can this be found?] will I be able to cut my albums into tracks. I cannot stress enough me cutting them into tracks. Not automatic! I'll repeat one more time me cutting them into tracks. Let me explain automatic will not work on Pink Floyd , Emerson Lake and Palmer, and the list goes on.

Sorry to come off a little sarcastic the Internet and my computers have been beating me up lately.

Thanks for all the help in advance Rodney.
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: My eyes are bleeding

The Auxiliary Input add-on is available to download from http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

However as you do not want to split the tracks automatically you might like to check out http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm for advice on transfering LPs to CDR.

Wayne

Comment

• drspy00
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Apr 2004

A good freeware audio editor is Audacity available at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
      Its excellent.

Comment

• Rodney
        • Apr 2004

Gentlemen thanks

Wayne I've been to LP to CDR tips, that's how my eyes started turning red. Thanks for the info just the same. Also thanks for the location of the auxiliary input.drspyoo thanks for audacity I've been here before but never downloaded it. Will give it a shot if that doesn't work I'm thinking about audio cleaning lab 2004 or cakewalk Pyro [cool a 18-year-old that understands vinyl 47 myself] have only been computing for about a year and of course all the stuff I want to do isn't the easiest stuff. Would like to take some analog stuff off my tivo and put it on a DVD have been reading a lot at DVD help.com and it's all blurring together.

Thanks for other help Rodney

There is a fine line between hobby and sickness

Comment

• ferris209
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Oct 2003

If you want to do editting without spending big bucks, Audacity is pretty much the way to go. I use Cool Edit Pro 2.0, mostly because I do my own recording and stuff and I need the high end software. But I'm sure you will be satififed with what Audacity as to offer.

Brandon

Comment

• Rodney
            • Apr 2004

ferris209 I'm more than satisfied I am gased. I guess all reading paid off I was up and running in about 4 1/2 hours. First I use Audacity[I believe you can't edit compressed audio in this program] to import the vinyl and cut into tracks then I use dbpoweramp music converter to convert it to Mp3 so I can put it on my ipod I believe there's a plug-in for aac but there is some problems don't want to read anymore. I will be back in a couple of weeks to see if any compensation is due for the converter .

As always thanks for the help Rodney

Comment

• Wayne
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Aug 2002

You might like to know that Audacity can export mp3 files. It can even use the same lame_enc.ddl codec as used by dMC. All you have to do is update Audacity's preferences and browse over to the sub-folders where dMC is located.

I use WaveRepair to record and split up my LP recordings. Once split I use dMC to convert the individual wav files to MP3.

Wayne

Comment

• JahSun
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Nov 2003

Re: Your eyes are bleeding

In case you have ripped songs in Mp3 or another compressed audio format, and do not want to re-rip. You can open your Mp3 file in Nero's wave editor, and chop it up manually. It even allows you to set multiple split points and do a whole album at once. Just make sure you have the relevant Nero codecs for the files you will be using. http://neroplugins.cd-rw.org/
                (I warn against transcoding from mp3 to wav and back due to sound degredation... although if you have no other option it isn't too extreme)

Of course there are tons of great audio editors that can do this & a lot more. Wavelab is among the best. I also like using Cool Edit Pro because it has some nifty features not found elsewhere. Of course, if you like to swat flies with a sledgehammer, you can use Cubase or Nuendo etc. But unless you are a musician, producer, or sound engineer, you will not need anything more than what you can do with Nero's wave editor. Although I wouldn't bother buying the latest Nero 6 unless you need the DVD shrinking and recoding stuff as well. You can still find 5.5 all over the place.

Comment

• Rodney
                  • Apr 2004

OK I'm back, this is what I'm doing I'm using audacity to rip record or whatever you want to call it to the hard drive. It records in a wave format. Then I split it into tracks. Then I burn a RW/CD now this is the cool part after its burned i put it back in and Itunes tags it for me and converts it to aac. Now after all of that I believe I will take that RW/CD and do a 1two1 copy to a CD/R for archival purposes this is fun but I don't think I want to do it again, I have a computer with two drives that will do this. The reason I use RW for first-time no coasters.

New question time is the wave format the standard for store bought CDs. Also would like to do some video in the near future[slide shows with music] was considering Nero 6 or Roxio 7 also some analog VHS and tivo stuff farther down the road after all of the reading I've done I realize you have to walk before you can run. I believe Nero and Roxio aren't very powerful programs but would get me started in the right direction. I can get Roxio 7 for 60 bucks at Cosco full version. I don't believe I'm ready for Sony's Vegas yet or any other high end video software.

There's a fine line between hobby and sickness

Gentlemen thanks for all your help Rodney

Comment

• JahSun
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Nov 2003

Congrats on getting your vinyl stuff converted. It seems like you have a good reason to have both the Wav quality CD's and the Compressed format for your ipod. I tend to archive my Lps in FLAC or APE with DMC's aux input to conserve space, and only burn audio cd's of the songs I will be listening to away from the computer.

I wouldn't buy Roxio. It is limited and doesn't work very well compared to Nero. If you are going to be burning DVD's and copying commercial DVD 9's to blank DVD 5's, it wouldn't hurt to get Nero 6 with the Power Pack. It has Recode built in. (which is basically DVD shrink) Of course, DVD Shrink is freeware... & higly recomended.

If you want to make videos, then neither software will be truly sufficient as they are not really authoring or editing programs. You could get Roxio's VideoWave, Sonic's DVDit PE, or any number of programs like that. (My DVD etc.) But truthfully, they all suck and have severe limitations. I would recommend DVDlab 1.31 (you can download it in a few seconds, and registering to the full version costs like 13$) This together with something like Edit Studio would do just about anything you could ask, and supports more functions and file types than the rest. DVDlab Pro is in beta, but you probably won't need the extra features anyhow, and you could always upgrade later. http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/

There are a number of Freeware alternatives also... You just tend to need to know more in order to use them well, and you will need 4 or 5 smaller programs to accomplish the tasks. (It doesn't really sound like you want to spend forever learning the not so user friendly proggies like IFOedit, Vob Edit, MenuEdit, Smartripper, Virtual Dub etc.) So, I'd probably go with Nero 6, DVDlab 1.31, EditStudio, and possibly DVD Decrypter (free) for the stubborn vids.

Good Luck----->
                    Hobbies are sicknesses spread by those with too much free time on their hands... Highly contaigous, severely debilitating, and mostly incurable.

Comment

Working...

]]>