title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: freedb questions

freedb questions

I've been using v16.6 of CD Ripper for some time. And I'm ripping obscure CD's that are generally only in freedb.

Today, I'm getting nothing from freedb. By all accounts (and even a comment by Spoon in a different thread) freedb is no more.

Googling all this, it seems the freedb server stopped responding on 6-13-2020.

But I also saw something about Illustrate having their own version. And threads on here implied only v17 supports that.

I've updated to v17, and indeed, it seems that freedb lookups are working. That's a wonderful thing.

CD Ripper settings show that freedb lookups are now coming from http://freedb.dbpoweramp.com/

And I see the ability to send updates to freedb is gone.

Can you confirm what's going on here? Are you using the last extent version of the freedb database? Will there be an option in the future to send updates to it? Or is the database basically what it is, and will not be updated going forward?

Administrator

Re: freedb questions

That is correct we have the last known database for freedb, but it is not going to update any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    That is correct we have the last known database for freedb,
    Great to see, that you are hosting a freedb copy.
    Could you confirm which database archive this "last known database" you are using is? Latest one that seems to have been available from ftp.freedb.org is freedb-complete-20200601.tar.bz2 - but it seems nobody has mirrored it anywhere.
    Could you make this last known database copy available for the public somehow (e.g. post it to Usenet, create a torrent or host it somewhere)? Latest copy I have is freedb-complete-20200301.tar.bz2. I downloaded it when I first became aware that freedb would be shut down, but forgot to check for the lastest updates monthly. I would love to get my hands on the final version.
    The server software is still available at Sourceforge at https://sourceforge.net/projects/freedb/ obviously, but not the database archive.

but it is not going to update any further.
    Why are you not accepting new submissions to your database copy? Too difficult/risky to set up or legal concerns?

Administrator

I do not want to learn how to handle submissions, there is Musicbrainz which can take submissions.

I not have the database in .bz2, it was downloaded in February and installed on a server.

I do not want to learn how to handle submissions, there is Musicbrainz which can take submissions.
    With that argument also the freedb copy should not be necessary at all. MusicBrainz can also be used to query information (and anything that might still be missing - even tough they should be pretty complete by now - can be added by submission). But ok.

I not have the database in .bz2, it was downloaded in February and installed on a server.
    If you are using a copy of February, it is not the latest known copy of the database. the latest version is available here
    https://web.archive.org/web/20200606...200601.tar.bz2
    as I have learned in the meantime. The latest entry is from 1st of June 2020.

Yeah I was going to ask about this since I couldn't submit any more either. Is there a way to submit to MusicBrainz through dbpoweramp?

Thank you for hosting a copy!

Administrator

Not currently, we can investigate.

That is correct we have the last known database for freedb, but it is not going to update any further.
    Hello. I would like to use your freedb server (many thanks for saving many freedb only tools) with cdda2wav, however

cdda2wav -vall cddb=0 -paranoia -Owav -B -cddbp-server=http://freedb.dbpoweramp.com:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi

still fails.

Administrator

That is the correct setting, not sure why it would fail.

Isnt this also freedb?

https://www.gnudb.org/

Administrator

It could be also yes.