title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CDex will not connect to remote freedb

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldyellr
    • Jun 2020

CDex will not connect to remote freedb

I've googled this problem and have seen a few posts from this forum, but nothing that was of any help. This started happening a couple days ago on my Windows 7 and Windows XP computers using different versions of CDex, versions 1.40, 1.82 and 2.23. When I click Read remote freedb I get this:

Opening Connection
    Failed to make connection, please check network/proxy settings

When I enter the titles manually (or use a CD I've ripped before) and try to Submit to remote freedb, I get this:

Connection Failed for reason
    "An invalid argument was supplied."

The only way I can rip now with CDex is to enter the information manually. I've used CDex for many years and this just started happening now. What could be wrong and how can I fix it?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: CDex will not connect to remote freedb

Freed has been discontinued, you could try dBpoweramp from this website, it uses 4 different metadata providers.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• oldyellr
      • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Spoon
      Freed has been discontinued, you could try dBpoweramp from this website, it uses 4 different metadata providers.
      Darn! I used to also use Windows Media Player for ripping, but it was not as good at finding titles and doesn't seem to find any at all now. I also just downloaded Kat CD Ripper, which seems to be a clone of CDex and gets the same errors. I'll try dBpoweramp Music Converter to see if I have any luck.

Comment

• oldyellr
        • Jun 2020

I just tried the CD ripper in dBpoweramp Music Converter with my Robbie Robertson CD I had never ripped and it worked great, finding all the titles, information and cover art. With CDex I always had to search for cover art afterwards and add it using Mp3tag. I would always resize cover art down to 300x300 but it gave me 800x800, no big deal and not worth the time to downsize it with Mp3tag. Great program!

Comment

• Dat Ei
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Feb 2014

You can configure the album art size.

But the best feature is accurate rip.

Dat Ei

Comment

• oldyellr
            • Jun 2020

I found the album art configuration. Not sure what AccurateRip does. I ripped the same CD twice, first at 256 kbps, then at 192 kbps. The first time tracks 1 and 5 came up X Inaccurate, the second time 1, 2 and 5 were X Inaccurate. But I found nothing wrong listening to them. What is the purpose and can Inaccurate tracks be fixed, or should I just turn it off if I can't tell the difference?

Comment

Working...

]]>