title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Multiple disc tagging and playback

Question Multiple disc tagging and playback

Was just interested in how people tag multiple CD when ripping. The way I see it, there are three (using a 2-disc album as an example):
    1. Rip as two separate albums, but name each title with a 'Disc 1' prefix (or similar) to show it's part of multiple CDs
    2. Rip both CDs together with the same album title, leaving it to the 'disc number' and 'track number' metadata of each track to organise correctly
    3. Rip both CDs together with the same album title, but rename the track names to 01.01 for disc 1 track 1, 02.05 for disk 2 track 5, etc.

I've left dBpoweramp to the defaults, which I think is along the lines of (1), but I'm thinking (2) works better for playback? Do most players/DLNA servers recognise the disk number tag and playback accordingly?

If it's relevant, I'm referring to FLAC rips.

Administrator

Re: Multiple disc tagging and playback

Totally depends on your player.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey dmulvey,

I for myself prefer the mixture of 2. and 3. I rip all tracks in one folder, tag them with their disc number and use a naming string including the disc number. So most players can play all those tracks of one album continously and in the right order, no matter if they use the tags or the track names.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I use 2, although I've found two multiple disc CDs that I ripped as two separate albums. For those two albums the album title is the same for each track of the album and the disc number and track number is used for organization.

Gary

It's a pain, as anything other than option 2 seems clunky to me. I might give that a go and see if the players I use (mainly my NAS drive's audio app, my Yamaha music streamer, and my car) understand and honour the disc tag.

dBpoweramp Guru

Using option 2 is not a contradiction to using option 3 and vice versa. You can use both options easily and automated in parallel, if you set up your naming string right.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

I use option 2, and I have each disk go into a separate subfolder underneath the album subfolder (named Disc 1, Disc 2, etc.) . But separate subDisc folders are certainly not required. I just like the file organization aspect of this. Using this naming string.

[MAXLENGTH]240,[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]
    Last edited by garym; 06-18-2020 at 09:36 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Using option 2 is not a contradiction to using option 3 and vice versa. You can use both options easily and automated in parallel, if you set up your naming string right.
    Agreed. I use 2 and 3.