title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CDex will not connect to remote freedb

Unhappy CDex will not connect to remote freedb

I've googled this problem and have seen a few posts from this forum, but nothing that was of any help. This started happening a couple days ago on my Windows 7 and Windows XP computers using different versions of CDex, versions 1.40, 1.82 and 2.23. When I click Read remote freedb I get this:

Opening Connection
    Failed to make connection, please check network/proxy settings

When I enter the titles manually (or use a CD I've ripped before) and try to Submit to remote freedb, I get this:

Connection Failed for reason
    "An invalid argument was supplied."

The only way I can rip now with CDex is to enter the information manually. I've used CDex for many years and this just started happening now. What could be wrong and how can I fix it?

Administrator

Re: CDex will not connect to remote freedb

Freed has been discontinued, you could try dBpoweramp from this website, it uses 4 different metadata providers.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Freed has been discontinued, you could try dBpoweramp from this website, it uses 4 different metadata providers.
    Darn! I used to also use Windows Media Player for ripping, but it was not as good at finding titles and doesn't seem to find any at all now. I also just downloaded Kat CD Ripper, which seems to be a clone of CDex and gets the same errors. I'll try dBpoweramp Music Converter to see if I have any luck.

I just tried the CD ripper in dBpoweramp Music Converter with my Robbie Robertson CD I had never ripped and it worked great, finding all the titles, information and cover art. With CDex I always had to search for cover art afterwards and add it using Mp3tag. I would always resize cover art down to 300x300 but it gave me 800x800, no big deal and not worth the time to downsize it with Mp3tag. Great program!

dBpoweramp Guru

You can configure the album art size.

But the best feature is accurate rip.

Dat Ei

I found the album art configuration. Not sure what AccurateRip does. I ripped the same CD twice, first at 256 kbps, then at 192 kbps. The first time tracks 1 and 5 came up X Inaccurate, the second time 1, 2 and 5 were X Inaccurate. But I found nothing wrong listening to them. What is the purpose and can Inaccurate tracks be fixed, or should I just turn it off if I can't tell the difference?