title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: 1 Disc, 3 different CD Drives - All tracks inaccurate with same results

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Question 1 Disc, 3 different CD Drives - All tracks inaccurate with same results

I have an internal Blu-Ray drive on my PC, and have a USB DVD writer and another USB Blu-Ray writer as sometimes one drive works better than the others for particular CD's.

I ripped a cd using the internal Blu-Ray drive today and all tracks came up inaccurate, with a 2 confidence rating. I then tried with the USB DVD drive, same exact results - all inaccurate with the same checksums (except for track 1). I then tried a 3rd time with the USB Blu-ray drive, and got the exact same results and checksums (again, track 1 checksum was different).

How is it possible to have all tracks inaccurate from 3 different rips with the same checksums? Is it possible that maybe my disc is somewhat different than the 2 that were already in the database?

After the 3rd attempt I listened to 2 of the tracks ripped from beginning to end and they sounded fine, with no errors or skips. How confident can I be that all tracks will be OK?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: 1 Disc, 3 different CD Drives - All tracks inaccurate with same results

The checksums are consistent because the rips are all evidently good and generating the same checksums regardless of drive. That is what should happen. But they do not match the checksums from 2 rips in the accuraterip database. You may simply have a different pressing that is not in the AR database. The consistency of the 3 rips tells me you have a good rip of this CD, except perhaps track 1. But keep in mind a bad rip, wrong checksum could be only a frame or two. Such a tiny fraction of a second would not be audible. 1 frame is 1/75 of a second.
    Last edited by garym; 06-14-2020 at 02:28 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: 1 Disc, 3 different CD Drives - All tracks inaccurate with same results

Thanks. I figured that. All tracks play fine.