title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Maintain album folder after file conversion

Question Maintain album folder after file conversion

I am new to using Music Converter. Upon opening album folder and highlighting individual tracks for conversion all seems to go well. Problem is conversion output is in the form of individual tracks. I loose the original album folder in the destination location. I tried all the available output folder options and none result in maintaining album folder of original source material. Is there a way to convert file format and maintaining original album folder intact? Manually recreating the album folder would be quite tedious when converting many album folder files.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Maintain album folder after file conversion

Quote Originally Posted by newwaver80s View Post
    I am new to using Music Converter. Upon opening album folder and highlighting individual tracks for conversion all seems to go well. Problem is conversion output is in the form of individual tracks. I loose the original album folder in the destination location. I tried all the available output folder options and none result in maintaining album folder of original source material. Is there a way to convert file format and maintaining original album folder intact? Manually recreating the album folder would be quite tedious when converting many album folder files.
    yes, easily done. What is the dynamic naming string you are using in the conversion. Post it here.

i just did a test conversion using a CD ripped MP3 file converted to FLAC by the software. Using File Explorer/This PC/Music I found individual tracks converted from the album folder. I highlighted a track to view it's properties. Nowwhere there does it list dynamic naming string you referenced. Where does one locate this info.? As I mentioned this software is new to me. Just used for a couple of hours to date.
    Last edited by newwaver80s; 06-12-2020 at 08:10 PM.

garym
    I think I found that Dynamic naming parameter you asked about. I believe it is the default (origfilename) when I opened that option. Should I enter something more specific you have in mind that will create intact album folder i seek?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

newwaver80s, assuming we're talking about the same thing... when converting... Select "Preserve Source Path" from the dBpoweramp Converter "Output To" drop-down box like shown in this attached image...

Click This.png
    Last edited by Dropbear; 06-12-2020 at 09:00 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Dropbears post should help. What is your complete directory structure of old files And what would you like the structure of new files to be. Let me know and I will suggest a naming string that will produce this. Dropbears idea will work, but you will end up with mp3 and flac in same album subdirectory.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
    newwaver80s, assuming we're talking about the same thing... when converting... Select "Preserve Source Path" from the dBpoweramp Converter "Output To" drop-down box like shown in this attached image...

Click This.png
    Dropbear
    This is strange. I saw your image so I follow it precisely. I choose album folder, highlight all tracks and then open. Takes me to next window. I choose your recommended "Preserve source path" and immediately goes back to File Explorer and makes me start from scratch and choose a file to convert. All previously selected track files vanish. ??

garym
    I experienced the mp3/flac in tandem result after conversion you describe which makes little sense to retain. The directory structure you request is over my head. My needs are simplistic. I have a large amount of mp3 files ripped from CDs by classic Windows Media Player app. File size is highest 'best quality' 320 kbps. I simply want this converter to transform the album file from mp3 to Flac with littlest intervention. Filling File Explorer with individual converted tracks seems so counter productive and undesirable.

garym
    I may have licked the issue. I used both of your suggestions (you and dropbear) I revised dynamic naming to reflect dropbears parameter change. It is actually listed as an example . No need to word it correctly for software to understand. Thanks so much!! I wish I could add a sixth star to your username.

Dropbear
    For you being such a newbie to the forum your contributions are substantial and appreciated. Note my reply to garym for what I did between both of your suggestions. I want to do a couple more test conversions to see if all is well.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Smile Re: Maintain album folder after file conversion

Dropbear
    For you being such a newbie to the forum your contributions are substantial and appreciated. Note my reply to garym for what I did between both of your suggestions. I want to do a couple more test conversions to see if all is well.
    Thanks for that newwaver80s. I appreciate it. Glad I could help you.

Yes, I'm a newbie to this forum. I've been lurking for years though, but because I've had a number of issues that I couldn't find solutions for, I was forced to join, and I am glad I did. I struggle often with textual descriptions, so that's why you'll see lots of images posted by me. That's often why I might seem to take a little while to respond. I have to edit the images, and add text comments (and also check for example that nothing private is showing in them) .

Unfortunately because of spammers, most external images and URL links need prior moderator approval before they are posted, which is totally understandable. (I used to run a popular forum myself a number of years ago, and spamming by bots is a huge problem).

Anyway, just inserting images seems to work instantly, without prior mod approval, so I may stick to that when replying to posts in future.

I don't have the knowledge of anywhere near that of Garym, but I will help when I feel I can (esp. if the other knowledgeable ones are offline. I'm downunder, so it's a very different time zone to most in the US. We're just so far ahead !)

Cheers, -Dropbear
    Last edited by Dropbear; 06-12-2020 at 10:47 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Glad it all works now. Good to see you posting and helping Dropbear. It's good to have the world's time zones covered (so we can help each other 24/7)!

@Newwaver80s, quick question. Why are you converting from mp3 to FLAC? You may know this, and have reasons, but just in case you don't know this: converting a lossy file (like an mp3) into a lossless file format (like FLAC) does NOT somehow magically change the mp3 file into a lossless file. That is, you still just have the same lossy mp3 file data, except now it is inside a FLAC container and taking up a LOT more space on your drive. The audio is unchanged from the mp3.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Glad it all works now. Good to see you posting and helping Dropbear. It's good to have the world's time zones covered (so we can help each other 24/7)!

@Newwaver80s, quick question. Why are you converting from mp3 to FLAC? You may know this, and have reasons, but just in case you don't know this: converting a lossy file (like an mp3) into a lossless file format (like FLAC) does NOT somehow magically change the mp3 file into a lossless file. That is, you still just have the same lossy mp3 file data, except now it is inside a FLAC container and taking up a LOT more space on your drive. The audio is unchanged from the mp3.
    garym,

You couldn't be more correct. An analogy would be you can't convert fool's gold into actual gold. It's human I suppose to look at something, but not actually SEE the true image value and / or meaning. I did think along your line of reasoning on my own. Thanks for reinforcing my assessment. I did gain experience with this new software and hope to build upon it. Regardless of what audio format you may prefer, the true difference lies in the wizardry of the recording engineer and artist talent. In my opinion those two factors lead to sublime listening experiences.

dBpoweramp Guru

Regardless of what audio format you may prefer, the true difference lies in the wizardry of the recording engineer and artist talent. In my opinion those two factors lead to sublime listening experiences.
    I definitely agree!