title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Repeated Service Entry (Mac)

Repeated Service Entry (Mac)

Why are there two entries for the Convert service (Mac running Catalina), and how can I fix this?

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 9.36.49 AM.jpg

Administrator

Re: Repeated Service Entry (Mac)

Perhaps you have video converter, or image converter also installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Perhaps you have video converter, or image converter also installed?
    Only dBpoweramp release 17 (1). Where would the services be found? I scanned my system for dBpoweramp files and folders and cannot find any corresponding services. The right-click menu item appears only with audio files, not video files and not image files, and opens dBpoweramp to convert the music file. I can't imagine the developers set up different services for different audio file types, as it just sends the file to dBpoweramp "as is," for conversion to another file type.

If I delete the app and reboot, the two entries disappear. When I reinstalled the app, both entries reappear.
    Last edited by JML; 06-07-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Administrator

Try uninstalling dBpoweramp (drag it to the trash), if you have the trial and registered installed then drag both. Then check is removed form services.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Try uninstalling dBpoweramp (drag it to the trash), if you have the trial and registered installed then drag both. Then check is removed form services.
    Already did that. After unchecking the services and uninstalling (via AppCleaner, which is more thorough), and rebooting, they're both gone. But when I reinstall dbpoweramp, both services are listed again.

Super Moderator

To rebuild services listings in Mac OS, please type the following line in Terminal:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Note that Finder may stall for a while after this, but everything should be back to normal shortly, with incorrect services entries gone.

Rebuilding the services listing had no effect on the duplicate entries. They're both still there.

This seems to be caused directly by the installation of dBpoweramp, because if I delete the app the two entries disappear, only to reappear when the app is installed again.

I have figured this out. I went into the info.plist in the dBpoweramp app package, with Xcode, and found these three service listings:

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 8.22.42 PM.jpg

So one is for converting files (the second entry in the keyboard/services listing) and the other (the first entry) is for converting the contents of a folder! It would be nice if this was clarified in an update, at least insofar as the descriptions go.
    Last edited by JML; 06-10-2020 at 08:32 PM.

Super Moderator

Thanks for pointing it out. I'm renaming the folder command to specifically say "Convert Folder with dBpoweramp".