title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Outputting embedded artwork from mp4 video to mp4 audio only files

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Outputting embedded artwork from mp4 video to mp4 audio only files

Hi Spoon.

As you know, I've been experimenting with trying to get the converters to output embedded artwork.

I know you said you'd look into it, but the following might be of help to you.

I wasn't able to get Video Converter to pass through the embedded art in an mp4 video file using your build of ffmpeg-gpl.exe, yet if I swapped out your build included with D17 Ref with another ffmpeg.exe build that I had on hand (that I renamed), using the exact same commands, it successfully outputted an audio only mp4 file "with" the embedded jpg file included. So it seems that there is something different with the ffmpeg builds that changes this output. The build that I swapped in seems to be a slightly later version.

I used the following simple Custom command as a copy (no DSP) to .mp4:

-map 0 -map -0:v:0 -c copy

Here's the log of both ffmpeg files at command level: cmd log.txt

Anyway, I've got it all working now with the changed ffmpeg file (but I'd rather not do that) and I hope it might be of some use to you for analysis.
    Last edited by Dropbear; 06-05-2020 at 05:42 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Outputting embedded artwork from mp4 video to mp4 audio only files

I've now decided to convert my mp4 music video files into mp3 audio-only files, and forget about m4a files altogether, as this seems to be more compatible, with less issues.

Everything works fine using this Custom command: -af loudnorm=I=-16:TP=-1.5:LRA=11 -ar 48000 -c:a libmp3lame -q:a 0 -write_id3v1 1 -c:v copy

...with output extension of mp3.

The audio is nicely normalized, and all the metadata that I need, including the album artwork, is copied across, and they all play well.

The only issue I have now, is that the converted files all have the iTunes metadata 'Comment' copied across into the 'comment' field rather than the original 'Comment' field. Unfortunately some Media players won't display the older 'comment' field. They only show what's in the 'iTunes Comment' field.

I can fix this (after conversion) by using the dBpoweramp 'Edit ID Tags' right-click function, by slightly editing the 'comment' field (just enough to trigger a change) and then re-saving, which copies the text over to the correct 'Comment' field, but it means I have to manually do it for every converted file.

So, is there something I can add to my Custom command to fix this, or another filter, or DSP effect that I can add in, so that it can be automated, or will it always require another step after the first conversion process?

This image shows my issue: mp4 to mp3 conversion.png
    Last edited by Dropbear; 06-10-2020 at 11:35 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

OK, so I worked out that I can modify the iTunes "Comment" ID tag by using the "ID Tag Processing" DSP Effect with the dBpoweramp Music Converter, by utilising three stages. ie. Mapping "Comment" to "Copyright" (which I never use), then Mapping "Copyright" back to "Comment", and finally doing a Single Tag Deletion of the "Copyright" tag.

This has the benefit of updating the missing iTunes "Comment" tag from the older "comment" ID3v1 tag.

Perfect.

Which leads me to the all important question... Why is there no ID Tag Processing DSP available with the dBpoweramp Video Converter???

Is this something that could perhaps be added to the Video Converter in the future as well? I know you can only add tags for certain file formats like MP4 for example, and most audio tags wouldn't make much sense with video files, but it would be great if it were possible to do some limited tag manipulation with it, for example changing Title, Author, Genre, and "Comment", etc.

I did try experimenting by copying across the ID Tag Processing DSP DLL and it's corresponding icon to the Video Converter folder, but it crashes out (which pretty much was to be expected because of the code changes that would need to be made), but hey, I tried. :/ I still hold hope that it might be possible to add a modified version of this DSP to the Video Converter.
    Last edited by Dropbear; 06-10-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Administrator

It is something we want to add (tagging processing for video), and is on our list.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Excellent. Thanks Spoon.

Thank you for your answer!Now I have to convert a lot mp4 videos due to remote communications.