title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strugglig With A Naming Convention

Strugglig With A Naming Convention

I am also new to dBpoweramp. I have a collection of about 1,000 jazz CDs (probably over 1,500 discs) that I had previously listened to on a Kaleidescape, which is rapidly failing. I have purchased a Nimbie and I have been experimenting with dBpoweramp to rip my CDs. I have reviewed many of the postings about naming conventions, and have started using one that almost accomplishes everything. The one shown below does everything except one item:

[Genre]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[IfMulti]CD [disc] - [][track] - [title] - ([artist])[]

The naming convention above rips the files to c:\Genre\Artist\Album\CD 1 - track - title - (artist) for a multi disc album.

However, I have been trying to insert the set of instructions to move the "The" in "The Beatles" to "Beatles, The" I have found the naming instructions in other threads in this Forum, but every time I try to insert them my album name blows up.

Any assistance in how to move "The" to the end of the artist name would be appreciated. Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Strugglig With A Naming Convention

Can you explain your reasoning behind changing The Beatles to Beatles, The?

Are you planning on using sort tags?

No sort tags per se, but I am planning on having the folders (i.e., the artists' names) stored alphabetically on my NAS to make it easier to find an artist and to organize playlists, recognizing that I will have literally hundreds of artists. The instructions I found in another thread on this Forum suggested using: [IfEquals]artist,The[Del]1,4[artist][],[Trim][Del]1,4[artist][],The[] but when I tried adding that to the naming convention I described above, the artist names started showing up as literally: [IfValue]album artist,[album artist]

So either I inserted the instructions for moving "The" incorrectly in my naming convention or I have some other error in it. Any thoughts?

dBpoweramp Guru

Might be easier to use ARTISTSORT or ALBUMARTISTSORT metadata tags when ripping, then you can refer to the ARTISTSORT tag in your naming string. The extra benefit is that this could be useful in some future music server and how it displays your library (sorted in B, for "Beatles, The" but displaying "The Beatles" when playing.

That sounds like a very interesting approach, but I am not familiar with how these metadata tags are used. My plan is to run my music library under Plex once all the CDs are ripped to my NAS. Where are these metadata tags stored once the CD is ripped? And can Plex utilize these tags? Sorry for these basic questions, but this is all new to me. Thank you in advance for any insights or suggestions you can offer.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mav13 View Post
    That sounds like a very interesting approach, but I am not familiar with how these metadata tags are used. My plan is to run my music library under Plex once all the CDs are ripped to my NAS. Where are these metadata tags stored once the CD is ripped? And can Plex utilize these tags? Sorry for these basic questions, but this is all new to me. Thank you in advance for any insights or suggestions you can offer.
    all your metadata tags are stored inside the files themselves. This is where player get info on artist name, album name, track number, track title, genre, etc. I assume PLEX uses these tag fields, as almost any decent server does. For example, you have a tag called ARTIST. You can also create a tag called ARTISTSORT. These tags are created when you rip and enter info (or the content is automatically entered from one of the online databases). For example, when you rip a CD, the screen that pops up typically has all this info filled in from the online databases. But sometimes you'll want to edit it to suit yourself. ARTISTSORT is one of those tags. But not all tags are automatically included when you rip. You select which tag fields you want in the dbpoweramp settings. (note, the usual ones are selected by default, but can be changed).

So you would go into your dbpa settings, choose to add the ARTISTSORT and ALBUMARTISTSORT tags when ripping. Then when ripping a Beatles album, you'll have "The Beatles" as the ARTIST and "Beatles, The" as ARTISTSORT. Then in the dynamic naming string, you'll reference ARTISTSORT when telling it how you want files and folders named.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Mav13 and welcome!

If you have any questions regarding tagging JAZZ CDs then feel free to ask (or PM me). My CD collection comprises predominantly of: Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, and all those cats...

Best,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Might be easier to use ARTISTSORT or ALBUMARTISTSORT metadata tags when ripping, then you can refer to the ARTISTSORT tag in your naming string. The extra benefit is that this could be useful in some future music server and how it displays your library (sorted in B, for "Beatles, The" but displaying "The Beatles" when playing.
    Agreed and one reason why the sort tags exist.

dBpoweramp Guru

FYI sort tags currently supported by dBpoweramp:
    Album and Album Sort
    Artist and Artist Sort
    Album Artist and Album Artist Sort
    Composer and ComposerSort
    Conductor and ConductorSort
    Soloists and SoloistsSort

Could you show me in the current naming convention I am using where to best insert the ARTISTSORT? The naming convention is:

[Genre]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[IfMulti]CD [disc] - [][track] - [title] - ([artist])[]

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

replace "album artist" with "album artist sort" and "[album artist]" with "[album artist sort]" and "[artist]" with "[artist sort]" and see if that works ok. (I don't use sort tags, so not sure the exact name to put in the string....just guessing)

dBpoweramp Guru

Lightbulb Re: Strugglig With A Naming Convention

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    FYI sort tags currently supported by dBpoweramp:
    Album and Album Sort
    Artist and Artist Sort
    Album Artist and Album Artist Sort
    Composer and ComposerSort
    Conductor and ConductorSort
    Soloists and SoloistsSort
    Hi again mav13,

Personally, I am using all of the tags mville mentions, except:

COMPOSER SORT and ALBUM SORT

I have provided a screenshot (Wagner's 'Tristan & Isolde') albeit, frustratingly, I am having issues with my PC producing clear images (in this regard) at present - ie. since I purchase a new monitor.

Paul

Mav13.png
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 06-04-2020 at 02:50 PM. Reason: screenshot

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    replace "album artist" with "album artist sort" and "[album artist]" with "[album artist sort]" and "[artist]" with "[artist sort]" and see if that works ok. (I don't use sort tags, so not sure the exact name to put in the string....just guessing)
    ... and if [album artist sort] and [artist sort] do not work, try using [tag]album artist sort[] and [tag]artist sort[] instead.

I will give the replacement of the "sort" a try over the weekend. However, I would still be interested if anyone has a suggestion for how to insert the phrase provided elsewhere in the Forum about how to move "The" to the end of the artist's name, specifically:

[IfEquals]artist,The[Del]1,4[artist][],[Trim][Del]1,4[artist][],The[]

into the naming convention I am currently using, specifically:

I would like to try the naming convention including the "The" change, but I have been unsuccessful in figuring how to insert that phrase into my naming convention and getting it to work. Any suggestions on how to combine the two would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

I would still be interested if anyone has a suggestion for how to insert the phrase provided elsewhere in the Forum about how to move "The" to the end of the artist's name, specifically:

[IfEquals]artist,The[Del]1,4[artist][],[Trim][Del]1,4[artist][],The[]
    I am not sure where you got the above string from, but the syntax is incorrect, which probably explains why you can't get it working. it should be:
    [IFEQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[artist][], The[][]

into the naming convention I am currently using, specifically:

Try this:
    [Genre]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]\[MAXLENGTH]180,[IfMulti]CD [disc] - [][track] - [title] - ([IFEQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[artist][], The[][][IF!EQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[artist][])[]

Also, instead of:
    [IFEQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[artist][], The[][][IF!EQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[artist][]

you can use:
    [IF][artist],=,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[artist][]<comma_> The[],[artist][]
    Last edited by mville; 06-05-2020 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added alternative