title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: File Naming: Help request for a Newbie

File Naming: Help request for a Newbie

Even after carefully reading through the CD Ripper guide and looking at the default filename command string, I still don't understand how to set up the command string so that my ripped CD's have the following filename structure:
    - Genre (top folder)
    - Artist (next folder)
    - CD Title (next folder)
    - Track names (list of files).

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Brian

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: File Naming: Help request for a Newbie

Need to clarify something first. Individual tracks have an associated Artist. CDs however, have an Album Artist OR are a Various Artist compilation.

Your filename structure doesn't make mention of Compilations or Album Artist.

Please can you confirm exactly, how you want to organise your CDs, assuming you will have compilation CDs?

With apologies for taking so long to reply, it seems to me that the best way to organize is by Genre (jazz, country-western, classical, etc.) and then by Artist and then CD Title with track numbers & names under each CD title. Yes, I do have some compilation CD's that have various artists - not sure how to handle those. Any advice would be appreciated.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
    With apologies for taking so long to reply, it seems to me that the best way to organize is by Genre (jazz, country-western, classical, etc.) and then by Artist and then CD Title with track numbers & names under each CD title. Yes, I do have some compilation CD's that have various artists - not sure how to handle those. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Try this. It should also automatically handle "Various Artists" and multi-disk CDs.

[MAXLENGTH]240,[genre]\[IFCOMP]Various Artists\[album]\[IFMULTI]\[disc].[][track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[IFMULTI]\[disc].[][track] - [title][][]

This is for windows. If a Mac, the backslashes should be changed to forward slashes.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Try this. It should also automatically handle "Various Artists" and multi-disk CDs.

[MAXLENGTH]240,[genre]\[IFCOMP]Various Artists\[album]\[IFMULTI]\[disc].[][track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[IFMULTI]\[disc].[][track] - [title][][]

This is for windows. If a Mac, the backslashes should be changed to forward slashes.
    Gary, do you often use MaxLength? I want aware of it until I saw your post earlier.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by husker View Post
    Gary, do you often use MaxLength? I want aware of it until I saw your post earlier.
    Often, yes, it's always part of my naming string. Probably rarely kicks in, as names/paths are rarely too long, but can't hurt to have this just in case. My music servers are linux, but I also deal with my files on mostly windows machines, so too long names can be a problem.