title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Asset run as a service on Windows Server 2019

Asset run as a service on Windows Server 2019

I'm planning to install Asset as a service on a Windows Server 2019 virtual machine 'A'. The music files are in a network share on another Windows Server 2019 virtual machine 'B'.

I will create a service account (with access to the network share) to logon as a service in the 'Asset UPnP' service on VM 'A'.

For this, I could create in Active Directory a normal user account or a 'Managed Service Account'. Does Asset support MSA's (Managed Service Accounts)?

Administrator

Re: Asset run as a service on Windows Server 2019

It does not.

OK, many thanks for your quick reply!

I'm having difficulties to run Asset as a service with an active directory user account.

In a previous setup, Asset was running fine as a service (logon with the default Local System Account) on a Windows Server 2012 Essentials machine, which also hosted the network share with my music.

In my current setup, I have installed Asset on an application server (running Windows Server 2019 Datacenter). The music is on a network share hosted by a file server (also running Windows Server 2019 Datacenter). Both servers are part of the same domain. I created a dedicated active directory account which has access to the music network share and which also has logon rights on the application server that is running Asset. The account has also received 'Logon as a service' rights on the application server via Group Policy. When I configure this account in the 'Log On' tab of the AssetUPnP service on the application server and try to start the service, I get "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion". I don't get this error when I start the AssetUPnP service under the 'Local System Account' of the application server (which doesn't have access to the music network share on the file server).

Did anyone get a similar setup working?

Does the AssetUPnP service perhaps only work with local accounts?

Administrator

Yes it needs a local account (that is where it saves all its settings).

OK, thanks.

I now gave the application server itself read access to the music network share and now Asset is running fine as a service with the local system account and started indexing the music share successfully. Problem solved.