title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Mixed up versions of Pink Floyd DSOTM - can Accuraterip help?

Mixed up versions of Pink Floyd DSOTM - can Accuraterip help?

Hello - I have 4 versions of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon all ripped from CD with dBPoweramp. I no longer have the original CDs. I just found out that a music organizing program I used last year has mixed up all the files. Is there any way that Accuraterip IDs could help me sort this out? Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Bob

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Mixed up versions of Pink Floyd DSOTM - can Accuraterip help?

When originally ripped, did CD Ripper write the AccurateRipDiscID tag to the files?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    When originally ripped, did CD Ripper write the AccurateRipDiscID tag to the files?
    Hello - thank you for the response. Yes - each file is tagged with an AccurateRipDiscID. Bob

dBpoweramp Guru

OK, firstly, I'm assuming the Album tag for all the DSOTM files are the same.

If you are familiar with Arrange Audio utility codec, you can use the [GRAB]from,to,string[] programmable action, e.g. [GRAB]1,30,[tag]accurateripdiscid[][] and [origfilename] element to arrange the DSOTM tracks to separate folders (based on the accurateripdiscid).

If that sounds too daunting, you can perform the same thing manually, by simply looking at the AccurateRipDiscID tag, as the the first 30 characters for each disc will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    OK, firstly, I'm assuming the Album tag for all the DSOTM files are the same.

If you are familiar with Arrange Audio utility codec, you can use the [GRAB]from,to,string[] programmable action, e.g. [GRAB]1,30,[tag]accurateripdiscid[][] and [origfilename] element to arrange the DSOTM tracks to separate folders (based on the accurateripdiscid).

If that sounds too daunting, you can perform the same thing manually, by simply looking at the AccurateRipDiscID tag, as the the first 30 characters for each disc will be the same.
    OK - not too daunting, thanks - I now have the four versions in separate locations - that's great! I guess my big question now is how do I know which version is which, i.e., which version is from the Japan Harvest CD and which is from the MFSL Gold CD? Bob

dBpoweramp Guru

How were you able to identify the 4 versions, before the music organizing program mixed them up?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bmeinhard View Post
    OK - not too daunting, thanks - I now have the four versions in separate locations - that's great! I guess my big question now is how do I know which version is which, i.e., which version is from the Japan Harvest CD and which is from the MFSL Gold CD? Bob
    Would the file properties "date created" give you any clues as to which is which? (that is, you might recall the order you acquired these disks).

going forward, I suggest you include some identifier in the Album name for multiple rips of same album. For example, I put info in brackets, so ALBUM tag would be:
    Dark Side of the Moon [MFSL Gold]
    Dark Side of the Moon [Japan Harvest]
    etc.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Would the file properties "date created" give you any clues as to which is which? (that is, you might recall the order you acquired these disks).

going forward, I suggest you include some identifier in the Album name for multiple rips of same album. For example, I put info in brackets, so ALBUM tag would be:
    Dark Side of the Moon [MFSL Gold]
    Dark Side of the Moon [Japan Harvest]
    etc.
    I actually did that originally, but my music organization program actually moved the files into different subfolders. THis is only an issue, obviously, when you have multiples of the same album, which I typically no not. I have tried looking at creation dates - no help there, as they were 8 - 12 years ago. It would be cool if there was a way to get the correct AccurateRipDiscID for these albums from Spoon . Thanks for helping me think through this.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bmeinhard View Post
    I actually did that originally, but my music organization program actually moved the files into different subfolders. THis is only an issue, obviously, when you have multiples of the same album, which I typically no not. I have tried looking at creation dates - no help there, as they were 8 - 12 years ago. It would be cool if there was a way to get the correct AccurateRipDiscID for these albums from Spoon . Thanks for helping me think through this.
    be sure and enter the album name with brackets in the metadata itself (tags). Then it doesn&*8217;t matter if the files get moved into different folders.

dBpoweramp Guru

You have the AccurateRipDiscID, of which the last set of 8 characters are the CDDB Disc ID. Also, your files may contain the MBID tag (MusicBrainz Identifier). Try a google search on the IDs.

I'll try that - thanks to you both!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I was able to fix my issue using the album CDDB (now FreeDB) codes in Musicbrainz! Thanks again for the help. Bob

dBpoweramp Guru

Excellent!