title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Low-pass filter during DSF to FLAC conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Obren
    • May 2020

Low-pass filter during DSF to FLAC conversion

Hello,

I converted a set of DSF tracks to 24/96 PCM (FLAC) using dbPoweramp. After conversion, I analyzed the spectrum of the resulting FLAC files and expectedly found that there are lot of undesired ultrasonic frequencies above 35kHz.

To filter these frequencies, I re-converted the DSF files, this time with applied a DSP low-pass filter set to 35kHz, which perfectly elliminated the ultrasonics from the PCM tracks. However, I found that much lower (audible) frequencies were affected as well, which was strange.

For comparison, I post-processed the unfiltered dbPoweramp FLAC file using Audacity and its Low-pass filter effect, configured to 35kHz with steep roll-off (36db per octave). The resulting spectrogram of the audible spectrum now perfectly ressembled the original file, however without undesired ultrasonics.

To illustrate the differences, I combined spectral fragments of these three scenarios into a single image:

Click image for larger version

Name:	comparison.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	297485

Is this an expected behaviour from the dbPoweramp low-pass filter or I did something wrong?

Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Low-pass filter during DSF to FLAC conversion

We will take a look at it.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Obren
      • May 2020

Any news regarding this issue?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

We did have a look, the improvement is more of a longer term fix and will not make R17.1 which is out in the next few weeks.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>