title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Eliminating "virtual" gaps between tracks while ripping classical CDs

Eliminating "virtual" gaps between tracks while ripping classical CDs

Somme classical CDs such as Mass or Operas recordings go from one track number to the next without pause in the music.

CD Ripper creates a cut between those two tracks generating a "less than a second" stop and go feeling while listening to the music.

Is there a way to remove this cut ?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Eliminating "virtual" gaps between tracks while ripping classical CDs

What player do you use? Can it play gapless?

Dat Ei

Administrator

If the CD is a live CD that is there is no quiet spells between tracks when played on a normal CD player, then CD ripper if you rip to a lossless format will not have any gaps. There is nothing to setup special with this, every CD Ripping application is gapless, you need a gapless player though.

I bought dbpoweramp because of the numerous recommendations. Now I have the same problem as ChuckytheFrog. A short break/gap is inserted between all tracks, which is not present in the original. This causes continuous pieces to be torn apart. I have not found a setting to turn this off. Does anyone know any advice on how to turn off these interruptions?
    (Translate with DeepL)

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by e-uu View Post
    I bought dbpoweramp because of the numerous recommendations. Now I have the same problem as ChuckytheFrog. A short break/gap is inserted between all tracks, which is not present in the original. This causes continuous pieces to be torn apart. I have not found a setting to turn this off. Does anyone know any advice on how to turn off these interruptions?
    (Translate with DeepL)
    CD Ripper doesn't introduce gaps. What format are you ripping to and how are you playing the resulting files?

I read the CD (Pink Floyd The dark side of the moon) with the drive in the computer and converted it to FLAC Level 8. The FLAC file has pauses when played on the computer, the original CD does not.I have played the FLAC file with dbpoweramp. I have played the FLAC file with dbpoweramp
    dbpoweramp creates the gaps while playing the CD, not while converting it. When playing e.g. with the Mediaplayer or VLC in the same drive there are no gaps.
    Last edited by e-uu; 05-29-2023 at 03:57 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have played the FLAC file with dbpoweramp
    dbpoweramp creates the gaps while playing the CD, not while converting it. When playing e.g. with the Mediaplayer or VLC in the same drive there are no gaps.
    Are you sure you're playing it with dBpoweramp, as far as I know it doesn't have a player component. Post a screen capture if you're not sure.

Administrator

You need a gapless player, such as foobar2000

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    Are you sure you're playing it with dBpoweramp, as far as I know it doesn't have a player component. Post a screen capture if you're not sure.
    in the CD Ripper one can select play on a track and "play" the track, but this is really for use in previewing, etc. dbpoweramp CD ripper is NOT a player. As suggested, dbpoweramp CD ripper does NOT add gaps (I have hundreds of gapless CDs ripped with dbpoweramp and they play perfectly gapless with all my players (LMS, foobar2000, Roon). What happens if you play the ripped files with VLC?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    What happens if you play the ripped files with VLC?
    The OP already stated there weren't gaps when playing with Mediaplayer or VLC.
    When playing e.g. with the Mediaplayer or VLC in the same drive there are no gaps.
    "Interestingly" I did find a dBpoweramp player from the mid-2000's, but I hope that's not what they're using :-)

Originally I assumed they meant Poweramp, but I use that on my phone and I know that to be gapless.

dBpoweramp Guru

I couldn't tell whether he meant he was playing the CD itself in VLC or the dbpa ripped files in VLC. He mentioned playing from the same "drive" with VLC which made me think he was simply playing the CD itself.

Administrator

"Interestingly" I did find a dBpoweramp player from the mid-2000's, but I hope that's not what they're using :-)

Originally I assumed they meant Poweramp, but I use that on my phone and I know that to be gapless.
    ...I will have you know, I still use that player

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    ...I will have you know, I still use that player
    Any chance you are preparing to relaunch this, and make it available to us mortals some day?