title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: R17 will not install 64-bit version on Windows Vista

Exclamation R17 will not install 64-bit version on Windows Vista

I notice in the release notes for R17 that support for Windows XP has been dropped, and the minimum OS is now Vista.

I have a virtual-machine running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, and have tried to install the latest dBpoweramp R17 trial
    (file "dMC-R17-Ref-Trial.exe", size 62,206,640 bytes, Digital Signature date: 8 April 2020)

For some reason, it will only install the 32-bit version on Vista, even though the OS is 64-bit
    (the installer defaults to "C:\Program Files (x86)\dBpoweramp")

I have running the installer with --force64bit at the end, but this makes no difference

Just thought I'd raise this, as I've not seen any note on the download page to say this is normal behaviour on Vista. If only the 32-bit install is supported, may I suggest adding a note on the download page to advise on this?

Thanks

Administrator

Re: R17 will not install 64-bit version on Windows Vista

Run this:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...rom-the-System

You must have some old version of dBpoweramp

Hi Spoon

I only setup the Vista virtual-machine a few weeks ago, and before my post had never installed dBpoweramp in it before the R17 release, so there was no previous data. It also makes no-difference if you right-click and "Run as administrator", or just double-click and wait for it to self-elevate.

I notice if you try installing R17 on Windows XP you get an error:

Error whilst running 5.tmp-dMC-Ref-Trial-32bit.exe

The installer has been extracted to your desktop in a file named '5.tmp-dMC-Ref-Trial-32bit.exe' double-click this file now (before clicking OK) to manually run it

You do indeed get a file called "5.tmp-dMC-Ref-Trial-32bit.exe" appear on the desktop (though obviously it doesn't work on XP).

But what this tells me is the installer contains two files inside it:
    dMC-Ref-Trial-32bit.exe
    dMC-Ref-Trial-64bit.exe

Would it be possible for you to post a download link for the 64-bit version only so I can test that for you?

Thanks

Hi Spoon

Some updated information for you: the installer is installing into the wrong folder.

As you can see, when you run the installer on Vista 64-bit OS it does advise it's running the 64-bit installer file, yet it defaults after to the 32-bit "Program Files (x86)" folder:

dBpoweramp_R17_32bitVista_1.jpg

However, I decided to do the install and see if it actually was the 32-bit version or not... so I when into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\dBpoweramp" folder and double-clicked these EXE files:
    dBConfig.exe
    DMCFileSelector.exe
    MusicConverter.exe

Then I brought-up Task Manager and went to the Processes tab to see if they had *32 at the end of the filename... and none did!

So, in short: On Windows Vista, the installer on a 64-bit system is defaulting to the wrong Program Files folder: for some reason it decides to install into "Program Files (x86)", even though it actually does put the 64-bit code in there, and not "Program Files" as it should.

Hopefully this helps! Might be worth adding a note on the download page to advise on Vista it defaults to the wrong folder, and during install you can manually choose to change the install folder to the correct one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Extra info: on my Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit host system, I can confirm there it correctly defaults to "C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp".

So 64-bit going into "Program Files (x86)" is a Vista-specific issue.

Administrator

That is very strange...

The installer would not run on XP it is compiled the same dbpoweramp.