title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Recurrence of Confusion about Sample Offset

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Lawrence
    • Apr 2020

Recurrence of Confusion about Sample Offset

Hello Everyone,

I hope that you are all well. To proceed, as I explained in a previous post, I am using a MacBook Pro with system 10.15.4. My main CD ripping hardware is an Apple Superdrive. Recently I installed dBpoweramp 17 (1), and I have been learning how to use it to rip a few large racks of CDs. I believe in the non-upsampling/oversampling theory, and have Audio Note Dacs. Although I have been more active in analog, I have been able to learn some basics of configuring and using dBpoweramp and Audirvana.

To explain my recent mistake, at one point I configured Accuraterip. Then I was asked to provide something like the number of samples. I made the very stupid and consequential assumption that this had to do with how many times Accuraterip would read the disc or other recordings of the same one;and just entered the arbitrary number of 5. Then I saw that I had mistakenly entered the sample offset,and that this did not seem to be changeable. As has been said, it cannot be edited.

Yesterday I ripped 20-something CDs, and was somewhat relieved to see that the sample offset was automatically changing between 5 and 6. However, listening to the ripped CDs, I am not sure that everything is working properly. I do not want to rip more if they will have to be redone.

I have seen that there have been several posts in the past about Accuraterip and mistakes in setting the sample offset. However, I have found that they have been answered in a way that to me seems technical and obscure, or by references to technical and rather oblique discussions. They say things such as: Different drives have different sample offsets, which do A,B,C about inside or outside tracks. To set the correct value, do D, E, F. Basically, I have two questions:

1) How in layman terms can I reset the sample offset, and how can I find the right value for a Superdrive? Regarding what others have mentioned, I do not see anything about Support or dBpoweramp in the Apple Library. Nor do I see a way of setting this amidst the other parameters of the dBpoweramp software in the Application folder.

2) Without any technical concepts for the initiated, or references to technical discussions elsewhere, what really is the sample offset? I would just like to have some idea of what this is, in a couple lines, even if the explanation is simplified or dumbed down. I believe that almost anything can be explained to anyone. Even an 8 year old could understand basic concepts of astrophysics.

I would be deeply grateful to anyone for any advice.

Sincerely,
    David Lawrence
    Last edited by David Lawrence; 04-28-2020, 04:15 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Recurrence of Confusion about Sample Offset

The apple version sets its own offset, it is not editable.

What exact drive name appears for the drive in CD ripper?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• David Lawrence
      • Apr 2020

Hi Spoon,

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

In the bottom of the main page, for CD drive it lists disk2 [Apple Superdrive].

When I configured Accuraterip, it was for that drive, as the other one broke early. However, some kind of question appeared asking me about sampling and I answered that as 5. I don't know why it appeared, if it was superseded by automatic setting, but some of the time yesterday it said that the sample offset was 5. This question-answer was different than the various default numbers for the Ultra Secure Ripping minimum and maximum number of passes and end after clean passes, as well as Individual Bad Frames maximum reads.

I would greatly appreciate further advice. If the Mac has been automatically configuring for discs, what happened to the other question and my answers?

What should be the sample offset for an Apple Superdrive?

Thanks a lot,

David Lawrence

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The internals of the superdrive is an 'LG Electronics - DVDRW GX50N', this has an offset of +6
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>