title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Asset - Shuffle Folder question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floyd
    • May 2018

Asset - Shuffle Folder question

The music player I am using gives you the ability to play randomly from a whole folder of albums or the entire library etc.
    I used to use a Seagate Personal Cloud NAS that uses just Twonky media server.
    I since have changed several months ago to using a Synology NAS using Asset as the media Server.
    One of the functions that used to work well with the Seagate NAS was to be able to shuffle and play a whole folder whether
    or not that folder was just an Album Artists name or whether is was made up of lots of compilation albums.
    That is it may be the Bob Dylan folder that has more than 60 albums in it or a folder called 50&*8217;s-60&*8217;s-70&*8217;s that has about 140 compilation type albums with the old NAS no problems and plays this way till it runs out of tracks (but not as good as Asset for most other areas).
    If I try and do the same with a folder shuffle with Synology / Asset it says the playback queue is empty.
    So I was wondering what possibly the difference was between Twonky and Asset for this instance?
    I tried playing around with the Browse Tree to no avail so I have put it back to defaults.
    The music player developer says this about how his program is supposed to handle a random play on a whole folder:

"When the player shuffles it issues a UPnP search request to the media server in effect saying 'give me the nth track under this folder' (n is random and the search is repeated with different values of n to get the full track list in random order)"

Is there any way I should be able to get Asset to do this ( ie random search a whole folder) when when playing from Folders & Filename Browsing in Asset via ac config change within Asset or is this a limitation or am I doing something wrong ?
    Asset R6.6 (Synology DS218+)
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Floyd; 04-27-2020, 07:26 AM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Asset - Shuffle Folder question

Browse this way:

Artist >> then choose the option [shuffle tracks]

or you can select an album and shuffle.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Floyd
      • May 2018

Maybe I did not explain myself properly..I can shuffle an album or an artist but if I want to shuffle an entire Album Artist folder it wont do it..doing the same thing with a simpler Seagate NAS that uses twonky can play the whole Album Artist Folder either sequentially or shuffled.
      So are you saying that I will not be able play or shuffle an entire Album Artist folder using Asset when playing from the Folders & Filename Browsing in the Additional settings.?
      I can shuffle an album or on an artist...just wanted to be able to do the same as I could with the old NAS t if its possible.
      If not so be it...it was pretty good to be able to simply play an entire Album Artist folder even if it was composed of various artists as I used to be able to do.
      Thanks
      Last edited by Floyd; 04-27-2020, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

There is no shuffle option is browsing via File and Folder, instead you should browse through:

Artist

which uses the artist ID Tags not filename and can shuffle.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Floyd
          • May 2018

Ok.
          I will stop trying to get it to work through trying various Browse Tree settings.
          Was driving me crazy .)
          Thought because Twonky could handle it that it would be a no brainer for Asset
          Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...

]]>